264 win mag vs 7mm Rem mag

270shooter

I have a Savage 110 with a magnum boltface and was wondering if the 264 win mag or 7mm Rem mag was the better cartridge for deer hunting amd long range shooting Thanks in advance

Its entirly up to you I like the 264 but the 7mm has more factory available loads and higher BC bullets. Take you pick 6 of this half dozen of the other. I would say the 7mm has more power due to larger frontal mass and higher BC which inturn equals more retained energy at longer range. But I still like the 264

The 264 win isn't to flash in the barrel life department the 7mm mag can match anything the 264 can do as well as offering more game taking scope from small to larger game.

Question is not awnserable in my opnion. Its all going to come down to how you treat it. It may shoot great with X load for 1000 rounds then start to go down hill and you will have to switch bullets and re tune. I think this factor is secondary to some of the others.

This is the same discussion on 24HourCampFire
.264Win vs 7Rem mag? - 24hourcampfire

John Burns who sells both calibers in his custom rifles said:

"When used with the best loads and proper throat geometry the .264 Win has a slight advantage in reach and the 7mm Rem is more forgiving of a lack of maintenance.

Tough to call a winner unless you are stuck with factory ammo and then it is not even close. Advantage 7mm Rem.

In factory barrels the 7mm Rem will have a significant barrel life advantage as the SAMMI 264 Win throat is not conducive to long life."

Can anyone comment on the throat geometry he alludes to? he also mentions there is more maintenance with the 264. I guess carbon removal is paramount to better accuracy and barrel life.

If recoil or shooting without a brake is part of the equation then the 264 may have additional merits as well.

the way it is looking now I think I will stay with a 7mm of some type.Do you guys have any suggestion that would be good without modifying my action? and what do you all think about the 7mm STW

Last edited:
Depending on bullet weight, i really do not see much difference in recoil between the two, all else being equal. Chuck Hawks has a nice recoil table by caliber. He has them as being equal. Rifle Recoil Table

I think most LRH here that shoot the 7mm will shoot 168-180 grain bullets, not 160. Also, if you make the weight of the 2 guns the same, they are not in that chart, the difference is more realistic.

Having said that, neither are bad kickers but the 264 is easier to shoot without a brake by a decent margin IMO.

which of the two has better barrel life and how many rounds for each caliber
When both were used in high power long range matches, the .264 barrels lasted until someplace in the 600's. 7 Rem Mag barrels lasted to the 800's. A friend I shot with used a 7 Rem Mag that lasted 870 rounds before going bad in 5 shots; 2/3 MOA at 1000 to 2 MOA in a hurry. My own .264 went from 1/2 MOA to 3 MOA in 3 shots at 600 yards; happened at 641 rounds. .30 mags at the time were lasting 1100 to 1200 rounds.

Go with the 7mm rem mag, you won't be disapointed. Way more components and bullet selection. For no more recoil and longer barrel life, prob much longer if properly cared for. Should last a lifetime.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.