264 Win Mag RL26 Data/recommendations

Thanks for all the info gentlemen! I stopped by said gun store today and got a pound of Retumbo and a pound of RL 33. I know why he has them... Ouch! Anyway I have a couple hundred pieces of new R-P 7mm Rem Mag brass that's why I asked about it. I do appreciate proper head stamp but it's not crucial for me in this application. I prefer the best quality brass I can get after the hornady 6.5 Saum deal. :mad: So I'll probably go with the ADG.

I wasn't sure if I could stabilize the 140 HVLD'S so been looking into the 130 gr class. No stability issues plus higher velocity to offset the 24" tube. I'm thinking bonded or mono so I will definitely check out the Hammers. I'm gonna order Redding dies this week and a couple different projectiles to try. I appreciate all the replies keep the data coming! Thanks

I have the exact same rifle ( 23.5" Bbl ) I bought new years ago. I use the Barnes 120gr TSX & it is deadly accurate. Taken several elk with it. Slow powders like Ramshot Magnum, Rel 33, Retumbo, etc. IMR-7828 also good with the 120gr bullets. IMR- 4350 way to fast for good velocity.

I have the exact same rifle ( 23.5" Bbl ) I bought new years ago. I use the Barnes 120gr TSX & it is deadly accurate. Taken several elk with it. Slow powders like Ramshot Magnum, Rel 33, Retumbo, etc. IMR-7828 also good with the 120gr bullets. IMR- 4350 way to fast for good velocity.

Cool! Glad you chimed in. I was wondering if the slow powders would work with the lighter bullets. I really like the rifle can't wait to shoot it!

I recently acquired an 1986 Remington 700 Classic, 24" 1-9" twist 264 Win Mag. very fresh looking bore! Not new to Reloading just this caliber. I have H 4350, H 1000 and RL25 but seeing the numbers RL26 is putting up I'm interested in getting some. I have lots of Berger 130 & 140 gr HVLD's but I am willing to try other projectiles as well. Been looking at the Swift Scirocco 2 130's and 129 gr Nosler accubond LR. Not opposed to Barnes either. Any data or recommendations on the caliber and or components mentioned would be appreciated. This load/rifle will be used on Midwest deer from 100 to 500 yards at around 500-1500 FSL Thanks in advance.
You might also look at the Hammer 121s....they shoot real good in my m700 9 twist with RL26 around 3300 fps.

My Rem SF2 will push 120 BT's at 3250 with IMR 4350 , did not like Retumbo , not accurate with it. Temp sensitivity not an issue where I hunt.
Just a little input as all guns are different.

I had a Sako Finnbear at one time. The only thing I could get it to shoot
well with was 120 grain bullets. I tried every combination I could come
up with using 140 grain stuff. Ended up selling the gun.
Zeke

My very old 264 sporter mag model 70 spent most of its life killing deer with 120 Nos BT over 58g of IMR 4350. I still have my notes from the work up I did 15 Nov 87 which was a cool windy day in West Texas. Sub MOA groups on a sporter barrel with a bullet that killed deer like poison. I never changed a thing for over 30years. Only recently I decided to upgrade to newer powders and bullets. It's a little long in the throat, but not burned out. I have found it likes 64.6 H1000 behind the 143g ELDX 3020fps. But I also had almost identical results with 66.2g Magpro 3015. Imr 8133 fills the case at 62.2 and starts crunching during seating ...best speed I got was 2900 but they were very consistent. Retumbo SD was too high and I gave up on it. I scored a pound of RL26 and some 7977 last week. I will give them a try next week.

Got a great load with 140 ab and rl 19 or 22 I'll look up when I get home and shoot you the info for a starting point.1/2 moa all day 5 shot groups. I did find the seating depth played a big role as one had quite a bit longer throat in rem700 vs win 70 so I'd find out where your lands are engaging

Last edited:
My very old 264 sporter mag model 70 spent most of its life killing deer with 120 Nos BT over 58g of IMR 4350. I still have my notes from the work up I did 15 Nov 87 which was a cool windy day in West Texas. Sub MOA groups on a sporter barrel with a bullet that killed deer like poison. I never changed a thing for over 30years. Only recently I decided to upgrade to newer powders and bullets. It's a little long in the throat, but not burned out. I have found it likes 64.6 H1000 behind the 143g ELDX 3020fps. But I also had almost identical results with 66.2g Magpro 3015. Imr 8133 fills the case at 62.2 and starts crunching during seating ...best speed I got was 2900 but they were very consistent. Retumbo SD was too high and I gave up on it. I scored a pound of RL26 and some 7977 last week. I will give them a try next week.
What is the twist of the old gun?
Let us know how the 7977 works out. I couldn't get the EDLX's to stabilize with the powders I had on hand.

I recently acquired an 1986 Remington 700 Classic, 24" 1-9" twist 264 Win Mag. very fresh looking bore! Not new to Reloading just this caliber. I have H 4350, H 1000 and RL25 but seeing the numbers RL26 is putting up I'm interested in getting some. I have lots of Berger 130 & 140 gr HVLD's but I am willing to try other projectiles as well. Been looking at the Swift Scirocco 2 130's and 129 gr Nosler accubond LR. Not opposed to Barnes either. Any data or recommendations on the caliber and or components mentioned would be appreciated. This load/rifle will be used on Midwest deer from 100 to 500 yards at around 500-1500 FSL Thanks in advance.
59 gr of H4831 SC topped with a Hornady 143 gr ELD-X, Fed 215 Primer. 2940 fps. Not a barn burner but scary accurate in my Win Classic with Boss.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the load data
Stx:
Good to know about powder valley. I'll try the hammer bullets. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Zeke:
I've noticed that Sako usually has slower twist rates. My 223 is a 1-12" & my 22-250 is a 1-14". I just load appropriately bullet weight wise and always get stellar accuracy.

Pdyson:
Let us know if you have any luck with RL 26 & or the 7977.

Rugerman 77:
I have both RL 19 & RL 22 so interested in your data. I have the Sinclair depth tool and use it frequently. I'll find the lands and go from there.

22250imp:
4831 is about the only powder mentioned I don't have (besides RL 26 & 7977) and I'm with you I only load for best accuracy not highest velocity.

I've looked and looked and cannot find it for the life of me. I think I sent a box that was labeled with info for the load with my dad. He's going to look for it. It was with rl22 I did have that much but the rest of the data is missing out of my book. I'll let you know soon

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.