264 Win Mag RL26 Data/recommendations

With the 23.5" Bbl of my Rem 700 it is no problem getting 3350fps with the Barnes 120gr TSX & Rel 33. With a 140gr bullet 3150 fps. I have regularly made 264 brass from 7 mag. Run 7 mag thru a 264 FL sizer, load & shoot. Absolutely no neck turning required. Since you have purchased some Rel 33 feel free to PM me & I would be glad to share my chronographed receipts. All my loads extract easily & retain tight primer pockets.Have been loading & shooting the 264 since 1964. Own several . Some with 1/9 & some with 1/8 twist. Having shot the Hornady 143gr ELDx thru both & can tell no difference in accuracy..

My original load was 61.0 of RL22 with a 140 Accubond, using Hornady 7 mag brass. Shot really well out to 500, accuracy fell off beyond that, which is why I switched to Norma brass and Berger bullets. Killed several nice Bucks and Bulls with that AB load though.

You may want to give 130g Berger AR Hybrids a try. I use them in from a 6.5 Grendel and an old 9 twist 264win I have. They are the easiest bullets I've ever tried to tune. In my 264 I tested 0.010" to 0.040" off the rifling and find everything shot better than 0.75 MOA at 200 yards. 0.040" showed the best SD in my rifle. I worked up from 67.0g to 73.2g NORMA 217 where I found the first sign of a hitch at primary extraction. I backed down to 70.0g and 3,220

My load is 55 gr rl 22. Rem 9 1/2 mag primers. 140 nosler ab. Seated .040 off lands. This was the guns sweet spot. This is not a hot load just accurate one. This is my dads win xtr my rem 700 load has disappeared somewhere for now. It might have had different primer and and I know seated different but I think same charge. This is well under max but start low as always

Thanks Rugerman77. I'll work up safely.

Hespco: thanks for the info it's great hearing results from the same rifle (even though I know they are all a little different) I'm glad you mentioned the 140's being stable with a 9 twist. Has your barrel been set back? Or is it just 23.5" from the factory? I'll pm you about the RL 33 data.

257Tony: The accubond is on my short (but growing) list of projectiles to try.

Trnelson: Thanks! How do the hybrids hold up as a hunting bullet? I don't have experience or familiarity with them.

Looks like I'll surely find a powder/bullet combo out of the info you guys have given me. Thanks a ton to everyone and if you have more data and or info please share!
I was going to order Redding type S match dies ($260:mad:) any thoughts or comments on them?

Hespco: thanks for the info it's great hearing results from the same rifle (even though I know they are all a little different) I'm glad you mentioned the 140's being stable with a 9 twist. Has your barrel been set back? Or is it just 23.5" from the factory? I'll pm you about the RL 33 data.

Trnelson: Thanks! How do the hybrids hold up as a hunting bullet? I don't have experience or familiarity with them.

Looks like I'll surely find a powder/bullet combo out of the info you guys have given me. Thanks a ton to everyone and if you have more data and or info please share!
I was going to order Redding type S match dies ($260:mad:) any thoughts or comments on them?
The usual. Buy once, cry once.
Expensive but the best.

I just bought a set of deluxe Redding's for my 300 rums however all my other are standard rcbs or Hornady...there is gonna have to be a major difference to see the worth. If they don't get groups down in the .1-.2 I won't be able to justify the extra coin. Heck I get such good groups out of nosler seconds and blems I hardly ever buy these high dollar bullets.

My barrel is factory length at 23.5". That's how Rem made them in the early years. Bought this rifle new in 1964. Have taken care not to ever over heat it. Still shoots under an inch. Never fire more than two shots without a cool down. Makes a huge difference.

They work fabulously well. Stupid easy to find a load. I've used them from my 6.5 Grendel AR (2403fps) out to my self-imposed limit for that round of 400 yards where the energy falls below 1000 ft-lbs. for several feral hogs and whitetail. From the 264 win I wouldn't hesitate to stretch them to 900 on whitetail size quarry before I'd prefer a different projectile to go further.

778AD9CA-6AA4-48C6-9933-77A84C0556C0.jpeg
988E61BD-1D53-48B8-B326-3FD92A7358CF.jpeg
4E9F99EE-9873-44E5-8FFD-BB308237920B.jpeg
My barrel is factory length at 23.5". That's how Rem made them in the early years. Bought this rifle new in 1964. Have taken care not to ever over heat it. Still shoots under an inch. Never fire more than two shots without a cool down. Makes a huge difference.

Dang!!! That's great accuracy and barrel life. Love the fact you have that much history with the rifle man. Ok Will do. Thanks for the tip!

I really like this rifle. It has a great balance to it, fit and finish is good and it looks very clean and barely used. Lots of good info and replies guys!

[/QUOTE]They work fabulously well. Stupid easy to find a load. I've used them from my 6.5 Grendel AR (2403fps) out to my self-imposed limit for that round of 400 yards where the energy falls below 1000 ft-lbs. for several feral hogs and whitetail. From the 264 win I wouldn't hesitate to stretch them to 900 on whitetail size quarry before I'd prefer a different projectile to go further.[/QUOTE]

Right on! I have a Grendel also. Good to know I could possibly have one bullet for multiple rifles.

Rugerman77: What bushing are you using in your Redding Dies? I don't have any loaded ammo to measure... probably not going to buy any factory ammo for this rifle. (I haven't bought factory ammo for years)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.