264 Win Mag Model 70 XTR?

filledandfree

I will be looking at a Winchester Model 70 XTR in 264 Win Mag this weekend. Not too familiar with the gun (I've never been a Winchester guy), but most Winchesters i've been around h.ave been great functioning rifles (yes, even the model 670). I have never owned a 264 win mag before either. So is this a good rifle/caliber combo? What can you tell me about the Model 70 XTR? Thanks for your time.:)

The 264 win mag is a belted mag based on the 375 h and h case shortend or a similar variant from holland and holland. Its in the old school barrel burner class as it really screams the lead down the barrel. In my opinion i would call it a early 26 nosler but not quiet as fast. With the right load and a 130grn or 129grn accubond longe range at around 3100 fps or slightly more this caliber is capable taking elk at a fair range 500ish max range with a good shooter. Moose might be a bit much at that range but better at the 300 yard range. Thats my opinion on what i like for knock down power and i like a little extra power when it comes to the bigger game than a deer. With the new 26 nosler out and comparing info on these 2 i would say the barrel burner thing is from the past with newer steels for the barrel on this caliber in 264 win mag. I'm considering building one. I think it is a fine mid caliber choice bigger than 243 smaller than 7mm leaves you with 264 or 277 and jack oconnor shot the **** out of a 270 and the were a few europeans that really liked the 264 win mag. This has good potiential as you dont see a lot of 264 win mags running around for a conversation piece and the what did you shoot that with thats not big enough. I hear that from a friend when i grab my 270 for elk hunting and i just point to my jack o'connor picture and he just gets in the truck and stays quiet for the rest of the day lol

http://www.winchesterguns.com/suppo...e-Dates-by-Year----2012-Scanned-Documents.pdf

Above is the date of manufacture. It sounds like a push feed rifle. The stock will have pressed inward checkering. There were many manufacturing shortcuts to these Model 70s. This is when the Olin corporate beancounters tried to make the Firearms Division profitable like a fortune 500 company. There is very little loving care in these rifles.

I had two "Pre-64" Model 70s in .264 Win Mag (both 1959). One had a stainless barrel that was plated with iron and then blued. It peeled with bright stainless behind it. I handloaded for the cartridge for years then switched to the WSM version of the cartridge with a little less capacity and a little more barrel life. I have 6.5-06 Ackley and 6.5-284 Model 70s too.

At some point I will buy another .264 Model 70. Cabelas had it a a featured cartridge last year and ended up selling most of them a cost or below. Do not pay much for any rifle in this cartridge. There are a lot of them available on used gun racks for a song.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.