.264 win mag long range load

I use 59.2 grns of h4831sc and a 140 vld with a wlr primer in warm weather, seated .002 off the lands. 3040 fps it shoots well. I have a tight chamber gun, yours will be different.

Do you have any experience with Retumbo? Just bought a jug of it cause it was all that was left and can only find a load for nosler partitions in bullets that i have(140 gr hornady amax, 140 gr sierra matchkings, 140gr nosler partitions, 120 gr nosler ballistic tips, 140 gr hornady sst) I heard it was a good magnum powder.

Do you have any experience with Retumbo? Just bought a jug of it cause it was all that was left and can only find a load for nosler partitions in bullets that i have(140 gr hornady amax, 140 gr sierra matchkings, 140gr nosler partitions, 120 gr nosler ballistic tips, 140 gr hornady sst) I heard it was a good magnum powder.

I'm working up a new 264 WinMag load right now, and Retumbo is at the top of the list. I'm getting excellent accuracy and consistency with 66-67 grains behind a Berger 175 gr VLD. Still tuning the exact load and COAL, but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Interesting that Retumbo does NOT like being pushing to max, in either the 264 WinMag or the 300 WinMag I have. As opposed to IMR4831, that keeps getting better the further above max load that you dare go.

Thanks for the info and keep me posted if you dont mind. I am getting really good results with 140 hornady a-max and 63 grains retumbo with wlrm primers out to 500 yards. Haven't shot further yet. I also built a batch of 120 gr nosler bal. tips for it with it 62 gr of imr 4831 and put 5 shots into one hole at 100yds. That was by far the best shooting of my life. Now we'll see how they shoot at 300 and 500.

IAN

I just came up with a very accurate load for my Rem. 700 Shilen CM 27 3/4" #5 barreled 264 WIN mag.
66.5 grs Retumbo, WW case, CCI 250 primer, 130 Nosler Accubond 3450 fps. I have not had the oppertunity to shoot long range with this load but at 100 it is a nail driver.
I to got super accuracy with the 120 Nosler ballistic tips and Retumbo but they were doing 3600 fps. Way too fast for use on any deer under 300 yards on which I do have shots when bean field hunting. The 130 Accubonds should do the trick.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.