264 Win Mag Loads

Send One

I recently had my gunsmith put together a 264 win mag and I am starting to work up some loads. I know a lot of people are shooting Retumbo, which I have no experience with. However, I have several pounds worth of RL-25 and wonder if anyone had any pet loads with this powder and a 140 Berger that I might try?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

First off, welcome to the site! Try 60grs of RL-25 with the 140s. This load is listed on Alliant's site.

Thanks Jud for the info and especially the welcome to the site. Very much appreciated! I have worked up a few loads with RL-22 and 130 Bergers that shot +/- 5/8" at 100 yds., which I felt like was pretty good considering I am breaking in a barrel and fire forming brass. Given the rifle has an 1:8 twist, I hope tthe 140's will improve my groups and really shine on out there.

Thanks again!

Thanks Jud for the info and especially the welcome to the site. Very much appreciated! I have worked up a few loads with RL-22 and 130 Bergers that shot +/- 5/8" at 100 yds., which I felt like was pretty good considering I am breaking in a barrel and fire forming brass. Given the rifle has an 1:8 twist, I hope tthe 140's will improve my groups and really shine on out there.

Thanks again!

No problem! Great to see new members. Your rifle should definitely drop down to 1/2in or better groups once your barrel is ready to go and especially after your brass is formed. Those 140s may fly better also! Good luck!

I tried Retumbo first with 130 Accubonds and did not have to look further. 3350 fps and very good accuracy from my 27 3/4" barrel. SMOKES DEER. :D

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback. I have a few test loads worked up with RL-25 and 22, so we will see how it goes. I plan to grab a pound of Retumbo to give it a whirl, given a lot people claiming success. I have shot 7828 in my 7 mag in the past with good results and happen to have a couple pounds laying around, so I will give that a shot as well.

Thanks again!

Just wanted to give you all an update that hopefully you can find useful for your own rifles. I have shot 12 different load combinations over the last couple of weekends with quite a bit of success considering this is the first firing of my brass and I am breaking my barrel in during the process.

All groups were fired at 100 yards:
Load #1: 66.0gr of Retumbo, 140gr Berger Hunting seated on the lands and Fed210M. Group size .256"
Load #2: 60.5gr of H4831SC, 140gr Berger Hunting seated on the lands and Fed210M. Group size .248"
Load #3: 59.5gr of RL22, 140gr Berger Hunting seated on the lands and Fed210M. Group size .424" at 100yds. * Fired second group at a metal gong at 350 yards that to the best of my measuring ability measured 1.25" center to center. It was really hard to tell given the bullet splash on the plate, but this measurement was fairly conservative.

And of course use caution with these loads even though they are under max as shown in Berger's manual. :) Just had to throw that out there.

Anyway, hope that helps some of you.

I got lucky and a friend gave me 3 lbs. of the old H570 and the old no. 20 hodgdon manual has loads for it. 71grs pushes a 160gr Woodleigh PPSN a 3 shot average of 3095fps at the muzzle. Crono was set at 18 feet. Approach with caution. No signs of pressure. Plans for this to be a Moose load.

thanks for the load data for the 140 bergers. Do you know what speed you were getting? I 've been trying to get a cooper I purchased last year to shoot. Do you have any other data for 130 gr bullets as well?

thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.