264 win mag load data

Start with the Berger seating depth test to find your best OAL. Then, load 140 class bullets with enough Retumbo to reach 3150ish from a 26" barrel. You will find your sweet spot there.

About 68gr to 70gr or so???

Kind of tagging in.
My barrel will be here in a week or so.

Based on conversations I have had with other .264 owners, there seems to be a lot of variation in .264 WM chambers. I'm not sure why. Moreover, I haven't seen book data that comes anywhere near real world results from the .264.

Because of that, I recommend that you treat the .264 pretty much like a wildcat and develop your own data. My advice is to start with Hodgdon data. Work up from minimum (59.7 grains) in 1% increments to find max in your rifle.

In my rifle, 69.3 grains of Retumbo put me at 3160ish in a recent production Winchester Model 70, with plenty of headroom below max. I know of another forum member who is reaching max around 66 grains with 130's, so I would advise caution in regards to your starting load.

I maxed out with 66.5 grs Retumbo with 130 Accubonds in my 264 Win mag but it has a 27 3/4" Shilen barrel and I get 3350 fps and outstanding accuracy. Always work up slowly from starting loads has always been my standard procedure especially when working with custom chambered barrels.

Another load I have found and used is the Barnes 127 LRX driven by 70.1 grains of Ramshot Magnum. 3477 FPS with my Magneto V3. Western Powders lists this load in their load manual but with a 129 Hornady, I didn't have any so I substituted the Barnes.

This load is fast and accurate from my Extreme Weather Model 70

are you, by chance, dusty from Colorado springs that left the review on midway for the 127gr lrx? just curious, you don't have to answer if you don't want to. gun)

Ha! perfect, nice to have people leave reviews that aren't completely blowing smoke, I do have a few pounds of ramshot. I made a few different test loads last night to try a ladder test for the first time, 130 bergers, 100 grain partitions (antelope slayer) I'm now just waiting for the rain to quit so I can shoot.
do you recommend starting lower than 70.1 or is that a pretty mellow load? the rifle I've got is a sendero.

I started at 68 grains and went up from there. I noticed no pressure signs even at 70.1. I used WW cases and WLRM primers. I fired them in an Extreme Weather Model 70. I loaded them to Max length listed for the 264 and they are very accurate so I didn't change.

Based on conversations I have had with other .264 owners, there seems to be a lot of variation in .264 WM chambers. I'm not sure why. Moreover, I haven't seen book data that comes anywhere near real world results from the .264.

Because of that, I recommend that you treat the .264 pretty much like a wildcat and develop your own data. My advice is to start with Hodgdon data. Work up from minimum (59.7 grains) in 1% increments to find max in your rifle.

In my rifle, 69.3 grains of Retumbo put me at 3160ish in a recent production Winchester Model 70, with plenty of headroom below max. I know of another forum member who is reaching max around 66 grains with 130's, so I would advise caution in regards to your starting load.
Thats No joke.!

My max with 140vld and Retumbo is 67 grains at 3250fps from a 24"barrel . Its an 8 twist re-chambered from factory 6.5 284 Savage LRH 24".
My reamer doesn't have the freebore I'd like, but a few dozen rounds or so should take care of that. :) Still, 67gr is only about 80% case density.

The lowest 5 shot ES was 23fps at 66.5 gr.
I think I will work on seating depth with a lower charge before switching from gm215m to 210m.

I just recently bought a Winchester Extreme in 264 win. and want to load some 130's and 140's for it.!! Fired a few 140 Hornady sp to get a feel for it !! Boy did it clean up nice with little effort.!! My powders are Retubo,H-1000, Ramshot Magnum, VV-170?? see what combo will work best.!! This is a neat rifle and does function well !! Let me know your thought's We here in NE Alta shoot big WT,Moose, Wolf's and other vermon !! Good Shooting !! KC57 !!:)

All of the powders you mention should yield satisfactory results. I haven't personally worked with any of the V-V stuff so I won't comment in regard to that powder. Another couple of powders you may like to work on are R-33 and Norma 217. I ended up running 217 in my rig as it yielded the lowest SD in my rifle (9fps and 3,168). If all you have a was to is Ramshot magnum, Retumbo and H-1000 I would heavily favor Retumbo followed by H-1000. YMMV. 264 win is going through a bit of a rebirth as we see more and more tempurature stabile slow powders hitting the shelves. Not much in North America is off limits with a 140g bullet at 3,100-3,200.
When I rebarrel my rifle I'm going to run a 26" 1-7 gain twist to send the 160's off. You have a great hunting rig that will last you for quite some time if you keep it cool and remove the copper fouling every 50 rounds or when you see the groups start to open up. It isn't a high volume chambering. At all. I never shoot more than 3 Rounds at a time and let the barrel fully cool to ambient before shooting again. Sight in the cold bore shot at 200 and you are within 6" vertically out to nearly 400. I've never had to shoot a second shot at a deer with mine yet all have fallen where they stood when I squeezed. I haven't had a opportunity beyond 400 with my rifle, yet but wouldn't hesitate to go significantly farther, as long as the impact velocity is above my personal limit of 1,700 fps.

I don't think your load is out of line at all. When I did my load workup with RL-33 in my Model 70, I encountered ejector marks just below 79 grains. I consider 78.0 grains to be max, but didn't get anywhere near the velocity you did. Unfortunately, I didn't get any accuracy out of RL-33. Even if the accuracy were there, it didn't show enough advantage over Retumbo to be worthwhile. I strongly suspect it would work better with heavier bullets.
I shoot 140 gr accubond with 69 gr rl 33. Getting 3170 with magneto speed

No doubt the OP is done with finding a load for his rifle by this time, but for for others working up .264WM loads . . . I am in the middle of working up a .264WM load, myself. I am new to reloading, and this is my first time doing any kind of load development. The rifle is a Winchester M70 Weather Extreme. Load details are: Barnes 120gn TSX with a 0.050" jump; Retumbo in 0.5gn steps from 61.0gn to 66.5gn; Hornady virgin brass; Federal 215M primer. Distance is 100yds. 2 shots per load. Velocity is from a Labradar.

This thread is helpful because I did not experience any pressure signs, and I see some comments that some loading books may report a low max-load. I am currently preparing another batch of ammo to go above 66.5gn. Anyway, my results, so far:

This first graph is group height above the POA . . . kind'a like a ladder test:

Velocity vs powder charge:

The target:

Last edited:
Old thread, but what the heck.

69.5 grains of Retumbo pushing an HBN coated 147 eld-m seated .025" off @ 3240 fps from a 7.5 twist 26" krieger. For a naked bullet your max would likely be 1-2 grains less, depending on chamber. I would start around 63 or so. I believe I did.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.