264 win mag load data

wildfire120

I recently bought a sendero in 264 win mag. was wondering what you guys that own them like to shoot for handloads. thanks! gun)

Start with the Berger seating depth test to find your best OAL. Then, load 140 class bullets with enough Retumbo to reach 3150ish from a 26" barrel. You will find your sweet spot there.

75 gr RL 33, Nosler 142gr ABLR, Nosler Brass, Rem 9.5 M primers. Right at 3100 fps using Magneto Speed. Model 70 26" 1-9 twist. 3-shot groups around .5", 5-shot groups at .7".

Work up to it. I ran it up to 79gr and started seeing extractor marks. Groups were crap in my rifle above 76 gr. Speed went up, but accuracy wasn't anything to shout about.

Start with the Berger seating depth test to find your best OAL. Then, load 140 class bullets with enough Retumbo to reach 3150ish from a 26" barrel. You will find your sweet spot there.

are you supposed to do a ladder or something to find your most accurate charge of the powder you want to use? before doing the OAL test?

what rifle?? how far to the lands with a 140 berger?? can you load them .030 off and still feed in the magazine??

are you supposed to do a ladder or something to find your most accurate charge of the powder you want to use? before doing the OAL test?

Do the OAL test first, with a starting load. Then do your powder charge workup. My OAL came in at 3.330 (about .040 off the rifling) in a Model 70 Sporter. It mag feeds nicely.

Start around 64 grains of Retumbo and work up from there . H-1000 is also a good powder to use in the 264 . I used to have a sendero 2 in 264 . One thing to remember is they are only a 9 twist . In my old rifle I shot 130 accubonds . New rifle I run 140 Bergers and a healthy charge if Retumbo .

I use 140 Berger Hunting VLD's in front of 76 grains of RL-33 which yields 3281 FPS from my Extreme Weather Model 70 264. I used .030 back of the lands.

Wrenches.... I'd LOVE to see how much pressure that load produces.
guessing youre nippin at the heels of 75k

So your running a 264 Win Mag +P++

Na, I don't think so. Bolt lift is easy and the primer pockets are tight. Primers are not cratered or pierced. Several shooters over on the 24 hour Campfire are using up to 77 grains and not having any problems either. I fired these rounds last August in 87 degree weather. I worked up starting at 71 grains and went up to 76. I believe that the RL-33 with it's retardant is going to breed new life into this old cartridge.

Try it yourself, you may well be surprised.

Na, I don't think so. Bolt lift is easy and the primer pockets are tight. Primers are not cratered or pierced. Several shooters over on the 24 hour Campfire are using up to 77 grains and not having any problems either. I fired these rounds last August in 87 degree weather. I worked up starting at 71 grains and went up to 76. I believe that the RL-33 with it's retardant is going to breed new life into this old cartridge.

Try it yourself, you may well be surprised.

I don't think your load is out of line at all. When I did my load workup with RL-33 in my Model 70, I encountered ejector marks just below 79 grains. I consider 78.0 grains to be max, but didn't get anywhere near the velocity you did. Unfortunately, I didn't get any accuracy out of RL-33. Even if the accuracy were there, it didn't show enough advantage over Retumbo to be worthwhile. I strongly suspect it would work better with heavier bullets.

Another load I have found and used is the Barnes 127 LRX driven by 70.1 grains of Ramshot Magnum. 3477 FPS with my Magneto V3. Western Powders lists this load in their load manual but with a 129 Hornady, I didn't have any so I substituted the Barnes.

This load is fast and accurate from my Extreme Weather Model 70

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.