264 Win Mag info needed

Hi folks, greetings from South Africa. I am a proffesional hunter from South Africa and I recently aquired a pristine Sako 264 Win Mag with a Weaver scope for a bargain price from my uncle. I cannot find any reloading or other information on this calibre and I need balistics tables and an idea of what the trajectory is like with different bullet weights. I hear the 264 is a flat shooting calibre and I intend to use it as a long range rifle on Springbuck, Blesbuck and Impala with 120 to 140 gr. bullets. Any opinions on this rifle calibre combo will be appreciated as I need to thoroughly motivate a need to own this rifle in the licensing process or the gun nazis in the police won't aprove my application. So my stupid question is what 264do what my other rifles, 22 Hornet, 308 Winchester, 303 Brittish cannot. These calibresare not remotely in the same class as the 264 and do different jobs entirely, I just need freshinput to help with my license application

I think you more or less answered your own question. It is a flat shooting rifle that can be used for long range hunting. My taxidermist was in Namibia 2 mo ago. Killed 31 animals w/ a 6.5 mag w/ accubond bullets. Claimed all were 1 shot kills from 300-600 yards. Including 4 Kudu and 4 Gemsbuck. That is very similar to your .264 mag. .26 caliber bullets have excellent BC's for less drop and wind drift than about anything in its class. Don't know that helps much, but its a start. Bruce

Hi guys, thanks for responding, does anyone of you have experience with a 264 and can you tell me what the best range would be to zero my scope when sighting in the rifle. Also what do you think would be the best scope combo to go with this rifle, I intend 450 yard shots as the furthest I will take, it currently sports a Weaver K 6x38, in my trade we prefer fixed recticle scopes as there is less that can go wrong when we are in the bush and far from civilization, any opinions will be valued.

Hi guys, thanks for responding, does anyone of you have experience with a 264 and can you tell me what the best range would be to zero my scope when sighting in the rifle. Also what do you think would be the best scope combo to go with this rifle, I intend 450 yard shots as the furthest I will take, it currently sports a Weaver K 6x38, in my trade we prefer fixed recticle scopes as there is less that can go wrong when we are in the bush and far from civilization, any opinions will be valued.

well you need to test the load at greater than 200m to make sure your bullet has time to stabilize, after that you could zero at what ever range you like. There may be a best range but you will need a load first, as its velocity and your chosen bullets BC will come into play. I have an idea that what you have in mind is a lazer beam that you will not have to adjust for drop. I wish that were true but it just is not.

I would suggest a scope with adjustable turrets or some sort of grid system like the horus hawk scope or bushnell hdmr

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.