264 win mag for elk?

Absolutely . i have taken many elk with 260 Rem, 6.5x55& 6.5-06. Barnes 120gr TSX/TTSX. Complete penetration thru both shoulders. Also deep penetration from front & back at extreme angles. Worst bullet I've seen used on elk is the Hornady 143gr ELD-X. Thru the rib cage is OK. Thru a meaty area they blow up like a bomb & destroy large amounts of precious meat.

That's the easy button, but in this day and age lots of people choose to make this stuff rocket science:(
Wish I could find more of those nosler partitions 6.5 mm/140 gr or nosler accubond 130 gr or 140 gr...trying to conserve resources for hunting season.

To bad they didnt have the Good Copper solid bullets back in the 60s and early 70s .. I bought a slightly used Win. model 70 264. The only thing i was able to Buy was 100 Grain factory ammo. Like shooting Lightning Bolts but they Destroyed a lot of Meat. I always Shot Deer in the Neck to minamize Meat damage.

OH! BTW MY old 264 Killed a Few Elk also. ( Need to keep in the thread) It was so Accurate that i could shoot the Head off a Pine Grouse . for Camp Meat. To Old to be able to deo that now

Should work good for elk! My wife's very first big game kill, a moose in 1974 was taken with a .264 Win. Mag, in spite of the less than desirable bullets of the era! memtb

Just like the title says is it a good choice. I know there are better bigger options but this is my rifle I am most familiar with.

yup. Throw a 140+gn solid copper Barnes TTSX or the like in there and they'll drop. My dad hinted with his Pre-64 M70 264WM for 30+ years. But yeah it I a a factory 1:9 twist, stay away from the 140 class bullets. Those Barnes 127gn LRX would be a good choice

Finally found my old photo. 140 Woodleigh. Photo has been photo shopped to remove signs of blood for publication elsewhere. Of course animal looks large but it was still a monster.

Attachments

• Camel.jpg
    Camel.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 84
I have a .264, an original M70 with the 26" stainless barrel. Its plenty gun for elk. Partitions, AccuBond or Barnes, all good bullets.

One of my hunting buddies has a 6.5Creedmoor and was telling me on a mule deer hunt how much better it was than my chambering, going to take it elk hunting as well. "A real death ray" he said.

"Huh, that's interesting. Your gun shoots a 6.5mm bullet at 2700, mine shoots the same bullet at 3250. By all means, go on about the 6.5CM and how superior it is..." Point being, lots of people shooting less gun and killing elk every fall.