264 win mag for elk?

All good advice, so 140-156 grain bullets will be inaccurate out of a 1:9 twist barrel? No chance of tuning those?

Seems like a lot of wasted cartridge space in the 264 win mag with max load of 57.0 for a 140 grain bullet and 79.0 grains of space overall. Have you worked up to loading above max loads? How does this affect the rifle?

Thanks.
good to respect gbett308's advice about NOT loading the 156 into a 1:9 twist barrel. 130 Nosler Accubonds (or 129 ablr) seem to be the happiest. If you want heavier, higher BC bullets, rebarrel. I've got 5 .264WMs and his words are correct. Any bullet above a .550 bc is going to be too long to stabilize. It isn't weight, it is length that determines necessary twist.

I have a model 700 built in 1962, with a 1:9 barrel, I believe. It shoots factory Nosler 130 AB's really well. I've started trying to work up a load with 140 Speer Hot Cor's and the gun just doesn't like them. I just got a box of 129 ABLR's and am looking to start there. Do you have any load data you would be willing to share? As for now, I'll start with IMR 4350 as that's what the Nosler book recommends. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.
have you shot your 129s yet?

Been shooting the 129s out of the 1:9 / 26" bbl and have had excellent results. Finally received some 130 Nosler AB's and itching to get those loaded up when we have a good day of weather.

The 140 SST's and partitions shoot well too but they are a shorter bullet.

Eric A is right, the longer 143 ELD-X's just won't group well at all with H1000 or IMR 4350 and multiple primer types. I haven't tried any 156 gr bullets as I am taking everyone's advice here on not until I re-barrel to faster twist.

If I build a 6.5/300 RUM I will use a Shilen 1:7 twist barrel with enough freeborn so I can shoot the long ones.

Been thinking of a project, maybe a 264/300 RUM on a 30" bull barrel burning something just faster than charcoal (50BMG powder) in that huge case would be fun. Might be more acceptable if labeled as a 6.5/300 RUM Ha!
I did one on a .338 RUM using .300 RUM brass to get a .100" longer neck. Nosler 140 runs 3,419 feet per second from a 27 1/2" Lilja barrel.

Just like the title says is it a good choice. I know there are better bigger options but this is my rifle I am most familiar with.
I have a pre 64 model 70. I have loaded the old Hornady 160 gr rnd nose with pretty good success. It is a very good bullet although as we all know not a long ranger. But it is a pretty good thumper out of the 264.

Just like the title says is it a good choice. I know there are better bigger options but this is my rifle I am most familiar with.
We've taken several elk with my son's 260 rem with 142gr ABLRs, including this past year's 680-yard kill on a nice bull all have been DRT no tracking. Other than a 280rem, I don't even take my old magnums out of the safe for elk, no need to.