.264 Win Mag: Any downside with starting with a bone-stock Rem Sendero?

A friend of mine is wanting to build a 264 Win, it has been his halo rifle for many years but he wanted to do it right. It will be a deliberate hunting rifle, light for extended carry, but balancing weight forward for deliberate shooting.

I have suggested
Rem700 long action (or clone)
Magnum weight fluted barrel (not a sendero profile) at 26in, modern chambering with a complex throat, 1:7.5 twist to shoot the 155/156gn bullets, load it with H1000 or Retumbo (yes they will work really well and being cooler burning will burn the throat less)
Stock will be a lightweight model, probably a Manners EH1 or similar,
with the standard 3 down BDL type magazine setup.

He likes Meopta scopes so probably a 4.5-14 or similar with turret.

All up weight aiming for under 8lb ready to load and carry.

Not exactly what I would build (my 65 SAUM is 7lb 2oz with a Swaro), but for what he wants it will work better than most.

The only downside (if you call it that) is you'll want to shoot it a lot! I've been shooting a mod70 pre64 my dad bought in '61. Other than bullet limits for a 9 twist can be the only issue for the newer, longer and heavier bullets. I shoot the sierra 140sbt with no issue for the 9. I though about getting the 7 twist, but went with 7.5 instead. 1 day I'l get a twist gain to add velocity (?). The 7.5T is on a 110 action I'm working on, just need a recoil lug and I'm done. I opted out on 26nos and 6.5-300wby and went with longer barrel to add velocity. I should be slinging 150smk @ 3,300-3,350+.

There are no "new" Senderos, unless someone has 1-2 stashed somewhere. The "new" Remington firearms company isn't making that model. And, the models made before 'old' Remington went bankrupt are selling for much, much more than what they are worth! Besides, the barrel could be toast! Used stocks are readily available and H-S is still making 'um. Find a long mag action, have it barreled with a premium hand lapped barrel with the proper twist, have a decent trigger installed and enjoy it.

Last edited:
I have owned several sendero rifles and have two now a SF 7RUM and a 270 first gen both are tack drivers,I don't think you will regret get one in a 264 win mag I tend to lean more towards the first or 2gen ones like that stock design better

When making a decision on twist rate keep in mind Bartlein 5 r 1-7.5 twist is easier on jacketed bullets than a 1-7.5 with 6groove button rifling , example I built a 1-7.5 twist Bartlein cut rifling 6.5Prc and a 1-8 button rifling Proof 6.5 Prc . I have no worries shooting cup and core or monos up to the 131 gr Hammers in the1-7.5 Twist , the 1-7 would be pushing the limitations on cup and core regardless of the types of rifling. I personally would send your action too Bartlein and have them barrel it with a 1-7.5 twist 5r cut barrel 26 in , it will be a wait but well worth it, talk too Mark.

When making a decision on twist rate keep in mind Bartlein 5 r 1-7.5 twist is easier on jacketed bullets than a 1-7.5 with 6groove button rifling , example I built a 1-7.5 twist Bartlein cut rifling 6.5Prc and a 1-8 button rifling Proof 6.5 Prc . I have no worries shooting cup and core or monos up to the 131 gr Hammers in the1-7.5 Twist , the 1-7 would be pushing the limitations on cup and core regardless of the types of rifling. I personally would send your action too Bartlein and have them barrel it with a 1-7.5 twist 5r cut barrel 26 in , it will be a wait but well worth it, talk too Mark.
Rog. Thanks for the additional refinement re rifling type.

To the team: recommendations for actions and suppliers?

Trust me in this. Do the custom rifle. I did the same thing you're thinking of doing. Bought a sendero in 300 win mag. It shot pretty ok. .5-.7 moa with hand loads. I wasn't satisfied. Put about 600 rounds trying to get it to shoot sub half minute consistently.

Then I bought a bartlein 3b to replace the barrel. Had a smith do the work. Tried the action and put a m16 style extractor on it. It shot pretty good but then I decided I wanted a custom action in left hand. So I sold it and bought an action, barrel, stock, trigger, ect.

I'd of saved thousands of dollars if I'd just done the custom to begin and have gotten what I wanted.

Joe: Thanks to you and the rest of the good folks on this thread, I have made the course correction you recommend.

The M16 style extractor is a new one to me. Can you explain a bit? Thanks in advance.

My bone stock Rem 700 .264 mag that I bought new in 1964 still shoots great. I have never shot more than two shots during practice with out a cool down. That's the reason for the long barrel life. Have taken several truck loads of deer & elk with it over the years. Sierra GK for deer, & since 1994 Barnes 120 "X: for elk. Now the Barnes TSX/TTSX for everything.

Attachments

• 2014 Elk hunt 003.JPG
    2014 Elk hunt 003.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 22
Having just discovered the utility of the .264 Win Mag, I can't see the need for me to either:

- spend $2k+ for a Win M70 pre-64
- build a LR custom rig

When I can grab a new Sendero and spend the saved money on getting my handloading gear.

Am I wrong?

Any other input welcome.
Buy a current production Model 70. Best deal going in a 264 Win Mag. I picked one up shortly after the Model 70 was re-introduced in 264 Win Mag. I am very happy with it.