264 W.M. build

Just curious how many rounds did you get out of that barrel?

Difficult to say Stephen.. long long ago I bought the rifle from a guy I hunted with as a kid. (Was actually my 1st rifle) I put 7/800 rounds through it since I've had it.. (he) once told me he was sure he put at least the same thru while he had it, BUT to complicate the math the rifle wasn't originally his from new either, he bought it from a neighbour HE used to hunt with in years gone by who claimed he had burnt the barrel out (yet back then) ??? Obviously didn't know how to clean* and only "thought" it was burnt out! ...so I don't know-- was for-sure 1500 through it between myself and the guy I bought from. The original owners count is unknown.

To give an idea on accuracy tho, aside from the last 100 rounds (when I fought to understand whether I was fouling or if my loads were off or *** was wrong) the rifle shot 1/2" right out to 800yards... 140vld's @ 3135 - that last 100 rounds it fell on it's face completely, take half a sack of patches, brushing, wipe-out, do what you want it wouldn't clean up anymore and wouldn't give more than a couple accurate shots.. 4 of 5 be spattering in every given direction of bull after that & wouldn't settle back down. Tried & tried. Had it bore-scoped 200 rounds prior & it looked decent.. literally 100 rounds later was when it puked, game over.

So yah, 1500 for sure with very good accuracy.. totally crashed "someplace" north of that

Has anyone tried Norma MRP in the 264 i cant find any powders that work well in magnums except MRP only problem is its in an 8lb jug

Try IMR 7828 SSC, or regular 7828. Both have the same burn rate, SSC (Super-Short Cut) just has alot smaller grains for more accurate metering in automated dispensers, like the ChargeMaster 1500. Works great in the overbore calibers, which would certainly include the .264 WM. It even works great in my .25-06 Ack Imp.

I have tried the Woodleigh 160gr PPSN and have hit 3095fps with the old H570 powder out of my 30" Shilen 1 in 8 twist and the are great and will be a excellent Moose load. I have also been shooting the JLK 130 gr VLD with .620 BC and like it also at 3249fps with H4831 powder.

has anyone tried RL-33 in the 264 I picked up 1LB today my thinking is it would work really good with the 160 matrix

Man, I can't find and Reloder 25 or 33 to try in my different calibers. Can you shoot me a PM where you found it, if the store will ship it, I'll pay Haz-Mat for a couple pounds of each.

Thanks

Man, I can't find and Reloder 25 or 33 to try in my different calibers. Can you shoot me a PM where you found it, if the store will ship it, I'll pay Haz-Mat for a couple pounds of each.

Thanks
Im not from Oklahoma but im here for work so I thought for kicks I would swing in to a sporting goods store that I have drove past the last few days to see what they had. They had just a few hodgon powders one which was their last pound of Retumbo that got put in my basket and they had prob atleast 5 lbs ea of almost the entire line of alliant powders so I walked out with a pound of retumbo, rl-33 and power pro 4000 mr

has anyone tried RL-33 in the 264 I picked up 1LB today my thinking is it would work really good with the 160 matrix

I ran it up to 3190-3200 range with the 160 Matrix in my 27" barrel. It was pretty dirty burning and accuracy was best in the 3050-3100 range. At the low end, definitely wasn't burning clean at all. I ended up going back to my 140/Retumbo load and sticking with it. Much cleaner and consistent.

I just picked up the following powders
7828 ssc
Norma 217
Retumbo
Alliant 4000 MR
Reloader 33
Winchester brass
Reminton brass
Nosler brass
Reminton magum pimers they were the only ones I could get hopefully I can get some federal and cci primers soon
Also after I have a fired casing I will be getting whidden custom dies
Im still trying to get some H1000 and vihtavuori N570 and maybe N560 I will hopefully shoot 160 matrix bullets if for whatever reason they wont shoot in my 264 ill shoot 140 bergers or another 140 class vld bullet any loads and etc will be greatly appreciated my gun will be finished by the end of the month or the first of next month

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts