264 mag, Rel 33, 121gr Hammer bullet

Hespco

Hammer-002.jpg
Played this morning with my Win. 70 action with Douglas 24" 1/8 twist stainless Bbl Using Rel 33 with newly acquired 121gr Hammer bullets. Bullets seated .020 off the lands. Worked up to 74gr Rel 33 which gave me 3419 fps. Not the slightest sign of pressure. Started with two new Rem brass. Fired a total of 14 rounds, seven shots per case. Primer pockets still snug/tight. Target is of four shots at 108 yds. Dead on on my 235yd target. Shot two 4" dia targets at that range & center punched both. To much snow to slog out to my 522yd target. That will have to wait till spring.
I weighted ten of these bullets & all came out right at 122.8 grs. Kind of surprised me. Not a problem as they shot fine. Just odd.
Hammer-003.jpg

Last edited:
I believe most of the hammers weigh up slightly more than their advertised weight. The website just hasn't been updated. I tried the 124 HH in my 6.5x47 this year and it is a excellent bullet. Why did you go with the lighter bullet with your 8 twist?

I believe most of the hammers weigh up slightly more than their advertised weight. The website just hasn't been updated. I tried the 124 HH in my 6.5x47 this year and it is a excellent bullet. Why did you go with the lighter bullet with your 8 twist?
I will be using this bullet in both 1/8 & 1/9 twist 6.5 rifles. I went with this weight because I have been using the Barnes 6.5 120gr "X" since 1994 & now the TSX for elk . Have several 6.5 rifles. Me & mine have almost lost track of the elk we have taken with this weight mono. It has never failed us . Never lost an elk. Always complete penetration. I went for the Hammer for this rifle & another 6.5 ( Win 70 264 E.W. 1/9 twist ) that for some reason would not deliver hunting accuracy with the Barnes 120 TSX/TTSX no matter seating depth or powder type. So: Hammer assured me accuracy with their bullet , gave it a try & it worked out. Getting this same 3400+ fps with the Barnes 120 TSX in my other 264's with excellent accuracy. My longest target on my place is 522yds which the 120gr Barnes smacks decisively. The overwhelming amount of deer & elk we take are under 200yds with many under 100. So the 120 gr works. It looks to me like Rel 33 is a fantastic powder for the 264 with 120 & probably up to 130 gr bullets??? With the load I mentioned above I could have easily gone to 75gr of Rel 33 but saw no reason to do so. Another 60 even another 100fps means nothing.

Last edited:
I will be using this bullet in both 1/8 & 1/9 twist 6.5 rifles. I went with this weight because I have been using the Barnes 6.5 120gr "X" since 1994 & now the TSX for elk . Have several 6.5 rifles. Me & mine have almost lost track of the elk we have taken with this weight mono. It has never failed us . Never lost an elk. Always complete penetration. I went for the Hammer for this rifle & another 6.5 ( Win 70 264 E.W. 1/9 twist ) that for some reason would not deliver hunting accuracy with the Barnes 120 TSX/TTSX no matter seating depth or powder type. So: Hammer assured me accuracy with their bullet , gave it a try & it worked out. Getting this same 3400+ fps with the Barnes 120 TSX in my other 264's with excellent accuracy. My longest target on my place is 522yds which the 120gr Barnes smacks decisively. The overwhelming amount of deer & elk we take are under 200yds with many under 100. So the 120 gr works. It looks to me like Rel 33 is a fantastic powder for the 264 with 120 & probably up to 130 gr bullets??? With the load I mentioned above I could have easily gone to 75gr of Rel 33 but saw no reason to do so. Another 60 even another 100fps means nothing.
Look forward to your results on game. I've only got two kills with the 124 HH. Both have dropped at the shot. whitetail buck and a pronghorn buck. Your explanation makes complete sense of why you chose this bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.