264 mag rebarrel

Good to know. I like the 156 but also am a fan of some 140ish class. Primarily antelope gun and I don't think a muzzle break is needed but might do one. Thoughts? Recoil is a non factor for me. It is on a rem 700 and has manners stock with timney trigger just for info. Talked to hart today about doing a spiral octagon barrel

A 1:7" will get the job done with either weight, however, I have 3 6.5 barrels at present, 2 have 1:8" twist, a 29" in 264WM and a rough chambered 6.5-284 Norma 28", and a 1:7" Bartlein 5R which is 32" and going to be chambered in 6.5SAUM. Rifle is still untiuched
My dilemma is that the ONLY bullets regularly available to me are either ABLR or RDF bullets. Predominately I'm using 142gr ABLR, however, if, and when, the 156gr becomes available here, I will try them out.
Berger are hard to get, then a flood of them comes in, last time I bought them for F-class, they were all used before I could get more.

Cheers.

I built a 6.5/06ai with a 7.5 for the 150 smk which is a little harder to stabilize than the 156 without issue. But that was a cut barrel, not a buttoned barrel. I've read and have been told that a cut barrel will work a bit better for marginal (which it was not) twist rate. I also shot some 130tmk and 123smks without issue. It sold and the current owner is shooting the 156 berger now with great results. I'm at sea level my range is 34' above sea level for reference.

Good to know. I like the 156 but also am a fan of some 140ish class. Primarily antelope gun and I don't think a muzzle break is needed but might do one. Thoughts? Recoil is a non factor for me. It is on a rem 700 and has manners stock with timney trigger just for info. Talked to hart today about doing a spiral octagon barrel

I am not recoil sensitive but most of my rifles now sport a muzzle brake/suppressor. An effective muzzle brake serves two purposes, reduction on felt recoil and reduction on muzzle rise (this is often overlooked). My .264 WM is threaded for a muzzle device (~$100). Being able to see the impact on the target is priceless.

.264 WM scoped at the range.jpg

.264 WM Savage 111F LA + Eliteiron.jpg

I am not recoil sensitive but most of my rifles now sport a muzzle brake/suppressor. An effective muzzle brake serves two purposes, reduction on felt recoil and reduction on muzzle rise (this is often overlooked). My .264 WM is threaded for a muzzle device (~$100). Being able to see the impact on the target is priceless.

View attachment 217398
View attachment 217399
I couldn't agree more. The ability to self spot is so important.

Getting my 264 a new barrel from hart. Looking to shoot 142-156 gr. What are your fellas thoughts on twist and length? I was thinking 26 and 1:7
Thanks for any input

The 6.5 is a great caliber, I built a 6.5 STW with a Lilja - 3 groove fluted barrel 1- 8 twist. I am shooting 129 grain Hornady SST Bullets, one hole shooter at 200 yards. It is sudden death to Mule Deer,Antelope and Whitetails. The advantage of the 3 groove barrel is the Lands are higher and Grooves are deeper so the barrel won't burnout as fast. I have also used 140 grain Barnes tipped triple shocks with good results.

Getting my 264 a new barrel from hart. Looking to shoot 142-156 gr. What are your fellas thoughts on twist and length? I was thinking 26 and 1:7
Thanks for any input

The 6.5 is a great caliber, I built a 6.5 STW with a Lilja - 3 groove fluted barrel 1- 8 twist. I am shooting 129 grain Hornady SST Bullets, one hole shooter at 200 yards. It is sudden death to Mule Deer,Antelope and Whitetails. The advantage of the 3 groove barrel is the Lands are higher and Grooves are deeper so the barrel won't burnout as fast. I have also used 140 grain Barnes tipped triple shocks with good results.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.