264 and lrt

pat henry

Need to put together some 264 WM rounds. Due to shortages can't find what I normally use, but I do have 129 sst's and a unopened jug of lrt. Nosler has load data on 129/130 bullets. Would it be good to go with sst's. Anybody tried LRT in 264 WM?

I don't have LRT in QuickLOAD, but with Ramshot Magnum and the same bullet you would get around 3,240 fps at the muzzle, with that bullet and a 26" 264 Win Mag.

Thanks for the info. Good shape on brass. I notice comparing nosler to hornady load data hornady seems to push the 264 harder for same grain bullet.

I have read that max. powder charges can vary a great deal for a given bullet weight, depending on the bullet design. I personally am careful to find published load data for the exact bullet, powder, and caliber, or to estimate loads with QuickLOAD and start conservatively.

If you can possiable find some , Rel 33 is top notch in the 264mag with 120 to 130gr Bullets. In my 264 M-70 Feather Weight, 24" custom 1/8 twist Bbl. 121gr Hammers, Rem brass, 74gr Rel 33, CCI #250 mag primers 3419 FPS over my chrono. Absolutely no pressure problems. This is my rifle so loads should be worked up in different rifles. This load works every bit as well in another of my 264 rifles.

Need to put together some 264 WM rounds. Due to shortages can't find what I normally use, but I do have 129 sst's and a unopened jug of lrt. Nosler has load data on 129/130 bullets. Would it be good to go with sst's. Anybody tried LRT in 264 WM?
I have a super load with 80 gr. of LRT and the Speer 140 Gold dot. My Rifle is throated to seat the base of the bullet at the neck/shoulder junction and COAL is 3.460" This combo gets a little over 3200FPS in my 26" barrel. Remington factory loads chrono 3145 in my set up. I would start a little under this and work up, especially if you have a saami throat, even with the lighter bullet. Remember Gold Dots have some kind of lube coating. I started at 72 grains. At 80 grains in my rifle I have no pressure signs. I use CCI 250 primers

Last edited:
I'm running Retumbo and a 143 ELDX Asnd a fed 215m

I just ordered a data update for QuicLOAD. When I get it, I'll try to remember to post a screen shot of the max load it prescribes for your caliber/bullet/powder combination.

Didn't know gold dots had a lube on them. This a model 70 I've had since mid 80. Had it dressed up as a 264 laredo with rock creek barrel couple years ago. If I can get a nod around 3100 I be happy. Only use it in stands 200 yards out. Bought 200 pieces of primed brass few years back. Plus had about 150 1st fired.

Just for info. My Win 70 EW 26" drives the Nosler 140gr AccuBond to 3229 fps. 71 grs VV24N41, CCI #250 mag primer. Rem brass. Not the slightest pressure problem. & very accurate. Every rifle of course can be different so the load needs to be worked up slowly. The Gold Dot , because of the lube will allow a higher velocity.