264 142LR AccuBonds

idcwby

I just started loading some of these and I can't get them to shoot any tighter than 1.5" at 100 yards. Does anyone have any tricks?

My setup: 264Win Mag, 26" Douglas Premium barrel, 1-8" twist.

Thanks

What brass, powder and primer are you using? What kind of accuracy history does your rifle have?

I haven't tried them yet due to the BC issue. I'm not sure it really is in the .7 area like Nosler says it is and I have no way of verifing it myself.

Has anyone verified/validated the BC yet?

JohnnyK.

What brass, powder and primer are you using? What kind of accuracy history does your rifle have?

I haven't tried them yet due to the BC issue. I'm not sure it really is in the .7 area like Nosler says it is and I have no way of verifing it myself.

JohnnyK.

Brass - Nosler, Powder - I've tried 4 different ones, and Primer - CCI Large Rifle Mag. This barrel is still new, I just put 200 rounds though it. The previous load I had would shoot 1/2" groups.

100 yard shooting can fool you. Shoot at 300 yards and see what you get. The bullet might not be settling down at only 100 yards. Some barrels just don't like some bullets.

H4831 or H4831SC lit by rem 9-1/2 primers. 51-53 grains. Or 47-49 of H4350 lit by fed 210 match. If you can't get either of those combos to work with 140-142s, either your rifle is screwed up, or you're form has fallen apart. Unless the ABLR is just that awful. Some have good luck with them, some don't.

Retumbo is the most common powder loaded with the 140 series bullets in the .264 Win Mag. Reloader 25 (sooty) and Ramshot Magnum (slightly less velocity and mediocre accuracy) are distant choices. VV N-570 will produce the highest velocity with 140 gr bullets but I am to sharing any of my two pounds. I just got one pound of R-26 but it is faster than Retumbo so it probably will not outshine it. I have been following the threads for Reloader 33 but I have not found any to buy yet.

The guy who uses any of the 4350 or 4831 variants, lacks experience with the round or a chronograph. You might actually want .264 Win performance rather than .260 Rem performance from your rifle. Consult Quickload or say the Berger reloading manual.

I just bought a box of the bullets and loaded up Retumbo and VV-570 for a trip to the range.

Powder is seldom the accuracy issue but seating depth is. There was a "Notice to Handloaders" on a little slip of paper in my box of bullets. I have never seen Nosler do that before. It said to seat the bullets as close to the maximum overall cartridge length as possible. It acknowledged magazine constraints. Have you seated the bullets into the lands yet? What is your OAL and where are the lands in your barrel.

Retumbo is the most common powder loaded with the 140 series bullets in the .264 Win Mag. Reloader 25 (sooty) and Ramshot Magnum (slightly less velocity and mediocre accuracy) are distant choices. VV N-570 will produce the highest velocity with 140 gr bullets but I am to sharing any of my two pounds. I just got one pound of R-26 but it is faster than Retumbo so it probably will not outshine it. I have been following the threads for Reloader 33 but I have not found any to buy yet.

The guy who uses any of the 4350 or 4831 variants, lacks experience with the round or a chronograph. You might actually want .264 Win performance rather than .260 Rem performance from your rifle. Consult Quickload or say the Berger reloading manual.

I just bought a box of the bullets and loaded up Retumbo and VV-570 for a trip to the range.

Powder is seldom the accuracy issue but seating depth is. There was a "Notice to Handloaders" on a little slip of paper in my box of bullets. I have never seen Nosler do that before. It said to seat the bullets as close to the maximum overall cartridge length as possible. It acknowledged magazine constraints. Have you seated the bullets into the lands yet? What is your OAL and where are the lands in your barrel.

You're 100% right on what I said regarding h4350 and h4831. I thought he said 6.5-284. My bad

I called Nosler and talked to them and they said seat them anywhere from 0.060"-0.020" off the lands is the feedback there getting. At first the guy didn't really want to give an answer, but finally he to start at 0.050" off, so that's what I did. After that wasn't working I moved them to 0.020" off the lands with no improvements. I haven't seated them into the lands yet because I've heard of issues where you can't get your bolt closed after you first shot sometimes.

I think you may be taking what the note Nosler puts in the box says out of context...

They are saying to seat the bullets to SAAMI overall length...I did that, and found a good load first try (280 Ackley, 150 ABLR, 3.34" OAL)

I know, SAAMI OAL for the Ackley is 3.33"...but I tend to seat any standard length round to 3.34", just the way I do things...hasn't done me wrong yet.

Seating into or even close to the lands is so often overstated and overrated...I'd rather have good feeding and undamaged bullet noses.

Taking my Mod. 70 26" 264 out tomorrow. First to break it in then to try some loads with the 142 LRAB and some RL-33. Let y'all know what I find out.

Ok, here are the results so far. Starting load was 69 gr of RL-33. Went up in 1 grain increments to 74 grains. Temps were/are in the 90's so the loaded ammo spent the night in the freezer then in a cooler with freezer bags all around to keep them cool(er).
At 70 grains I got this 7/8" 3-shot group:

Then I ran 3 rounds of the same over the Magnetospeed - disappointing to say the least. Average speed was 2875. :(

I'll try and load some different powder, probably H-1000 (since Retumbo has been non-existent around here) and see how it goes tomorrow (maybe). I'll also shoot the 73 and 74 grain loads in RL33 and might toss in acouple in 75 and 76 to see if I reach any pressure signs (none showed on the 69-71 grain loads)

On the good side, I did find a great load for my 358 Win - 5/8" group - but that's for a different thread.

Attachments

• 264-142-RL33-1.jpg
    264-142-RL33-1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 264-142-RL33-2.jpg
    264-142-RL33-2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 98
Thanks for the report on R-33. I had the same (low velocity) result with Norma 217. See if you can find R-26 if you cannot find Retumbo. It is slightly faster but it is a Swiss powder like R-17 with energy beyond the Retumbo or H-1000 ADI powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.