264 142LR AccuBonds

I have some R-26. Just no idea where to start the loads. Anyone have a good starting point and max load idea? Was thinking of 7828 as well.

I would start at 64.0 gr of R-26 with the 142 Nosler and work up by half a grain. We know it is between H-1000 and Retumbo. 67 grains of R-25 is Max at Real Guns for 140 gr bullets in the .264 Winchester Magnum.

I have some R-26. Just no idea where to start the loads. Anyone have a good starting point and max load idea? Was thinking of 7828 as well.

I used 63 grains of 7828 with a 140 Partition in the original barrel of my .264. I was getting around 3300 measured by my old Chrony Beta. I don't trust those readings even though it was consistent. I was able to get to 65 grains where I saw pressure. This was back when IMR listed 65 grains as max. Now, Hodgdon lists 58 as max.

I spoke with the guys at Swift bullets and asked about R33 with their 130 Scirocco. They had not tested it but did when I asked. They found 70 grains to be maximum with a group size of .9" and 3124 fps. I don't know how many shots that was, though. 68.5 provided the most accuracy at .7" and 3072 fps. They test with a 24" barrel. They said of all the powders they've tested they would only recommend Retumbo or R33 for consistency. They said that's one of the most finicky cartridges they've tested.

I asked about R26 so they may test that, too. If so, I'll report back.

I was able to try R-26 in one of my 6.5 WSMs with 140 gr to test it. I tried it in the 6.5-284 as well. The velocity in the 6.5-284 was disappointing. It is a M-70 with a 26 inch gain twist Bartlien barrel. I used 130 Sciroccos coated with HBN in Lapua cases with F210 primers.
54.0 gr IMR- 7828 SSC 2889 fps (control)
53.0 gr R-26 2987 fps
53.5 gr R-26 2927 fps
54.0 gr R-26 3057 fps Ejector slot mark on base of case
54.5 gr Pulled bullets and recycled.

In the larger 6.5 WSM case, R-26 performed better. I could not get the chronograph to work but my normal loads with 140 gr are 66.6 gr of Retumbo or 67.7gr of N-570 for 3240 fps (28 inch Krieger). I got up to 65.0 gr of R-26 with 140 Sierras without dangerous pressure signs. The point of impact of the R-26 loads was two inches above the control Retumbo load (300 yards). The spread was within 2 inches at 300 yards despite the ladder testing from 62-65 gr by half grains. I also tested 130 gr Sciroccos with 65.0 gr of R-26 with no difficulties. Interesting the Sciroccos were 4 inches to the right of the Sierras. Norma .270 WSM cases necked down and annealed. I used CCI 250 primers.

I will bet that R-26 is a winner in the big case .264 Win Mag for velocity and accuracy both. We just have to figure out which bullet it weight it is suited for.

Allrighty all, I am mostly kinda moved into my new house in northern Michigan. Enough I decided to load up 4 test loads with my .260 Rem and the 142 ABLR. I referenced QuickLoad adjusting for case capacity and my current bullets true dimensions and came up with 46.0 gr RL26. 70 thou off lands (~2.839 COAL) has always shot well in my rifle with the 129 ABLR so I started there. The final result was 3 rounds touching and 1 just off from them. Done. This has to be my fastest load development ever. lol. I still haven't unpacked everything and I still need to find my CED sensors and shades, so sorry but no velocities. QL predicts it to be about 2830 fps at just over 51k psi and just under 100% burn. Once I find the rest of my CED, I'll get velocities for ya all.

I figured out why I was having such a problem with these bullets. I shot a group at 200 as suggested on here and they completely fell apart. I went from 1 1/2" at 100 yards to 6" at 200. So I checked the twist in the barrel and found out the gunsmith put a 1-9 twist barrel instead of the 1-8 like I asked for. So I'm positive now that I'm not stabilizing these bullets properly.

Back to the drawing board on which bullet I should use.

Thanks for the help.

You need to be talking with that Gunsmith. If you asked for a 1-8. Then that is what you should have. That smith needs to be putting a new barrel on for you, on his dime.

Brian

65WSM....n your 6.5x284 are you using the 7828ssc a lot? If so how is this for temp changes? Also have you tried 140 bergers as well. I tried 7828ssc at 53 grains and was getting 2932fps to 2944fps It seem to group well at 200 but I only had loaded 3 rounds of it. I have not been able to get back out and retry it again. I was wondering if you find this powder to be a good consistant grouper and not to temp sensitive.

You need to be talking with that Gunsmith. If you asked for a 1-8. Then that is what you should have. That smith needs to be putting a new barrel on for you, on his dime.

Brian

Brian I would but the guy passed away after barreling my rifle. So in a way I'm stuck with it. I'll just have to go to regular AccuBonds or something like that.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Worst groups ever out of my 260. tried 4 loads that ranged from 1.5-2" at 100 yd. sorry I don't go for the "try at 300 maybe there are not stable or whatever" but I will try 2 more loads they like to be pushed fast from what I can tell,

I use h-870 powder in my 264 wm ruger .Its picky about seating depth .I seat it right before the lands .I shoot lapula 155 gr mega tips and it BC is .377 and I shoot under an inch at 200 yards .I would try wc 867 powder its like h-870 .I clean my bore every 60 rounds totally .I heard reloader 25 was awesome too.

I called Nosler and talked to them and they said seat them anywhere from 0.060"-0.020" off the lands is the feedback there getting. At first the guy didn't really want to give an answer, but finally he to start at 0.050" off, so that's what I did. After that wasn't working I moved them to 0.020" off the lands with no improvements. I haven't seated them into the lands yet because I've heard of issues where you can't get your bolt closed after you first shot sometimes.

A jump from .050" to .020" is to far - poke and hope. You need to find powder node first then dial the load in with seating depth. Try this method and if you follow it precisely you will find a good load.

Long range load development at 100 yards.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone but as I stated in a previous post I don't have the right twist to stablilize these bullets.

You can do either one, either powder or bullet seating depth. It has been my experience with 3 rifles to do the seating depth first and then powder. Once you find an accurate seating depth you can increase the powder charge. Finally you may do some small tweaks with seating but for me that has not been the case. Also it seem there is somewhat of a slower accurate node and faster accurate node with the faster right at book max are slightly over. From things I have read its a barrel harmonics thing as the bullet travel down the barrel. Reason for doing seating depth first it was faster and less shouts down the pipe. The first gun I owned, I did the powder first which was a 30-06 and it seem to take for ever to get it tuned in. I went up and down the powder range and then went up and down the seating length. I was cutting my teeth on this gun and I was a little new so some of this was probably that but the next 3 I used seating depth first and it seem to reduce my shot count greatly. . I know somewhere in the post there was a really good write up on this same topic. I followed the advice and it seem to work really well. I also shot bullet a 300yrds at large poster board on a sheet of plywood. this gave me enough area to really see what the changes were when changing the seating depth. I then did a ladder test at 500 yards with the large plywood. Worked out great. I will be doing this also with some of the LRAB as well. Just my 2 cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.