260AI or 7MM08

scottishkat

All I have a Sako 85 in 260 Rem that I am interested in re-barreling. It's kind of the odd firearm out I really like the 260 and own 3 but the 22.5 inch barrel has a handicap effect on the round. The magazine has plenty of length I can load to approx 2.950. I would be reloading for it so no concern there.

I am considering the above cartridges in a 24" tube. Main uses will be deer and targets. With the 260 AI I would go with a 1 in 8. What twist would you consider with the 7mm-08?

Any recommendation on a good smith in VA area and barrel manufacturer would be appreciated.

Shoot straight

Bob Mac

I just got a 1-9, 7-08 barrel. I'd think that is enough twist for any load I've dreamed up. 9.5 was enough to handle 160s in my last 7-08...I never loaded anything heavier before selling that gun.

No experience with the 260, but the two are almost the same animal in my opinion.

I really like both rounds but I would have to go with the 7/08 for the increase in performance
on game.

The 7/08 seems to be the optimum round for deer size game and is inherently accurate with the right load. and with the range of bullet weights (90 to 190) it will cover most hunting needs. It is a very capable cartridge out to 800 yards for game and 1000 yards+ on targets.

I recommend a 1 in 9 twist for the 7/08 or a 1 in 8.5.

The 7/08 does very well with barrel lengths from 18" to 24".

J E CUSTOM

I vote the .260 Ackley. Less brass work after initial fire-forming. A 140gr Berger VLD at or around 2950 fps is a very deadly and capable cartridge for just about anything with less recoil than the 7-08.

I'm guessing the recoil difference would be negligible, but having said that I've never owned/shot a 260AI.

I'd get a 7-08 or 7-08AI as you got a number of 260s already. Also, consider getting one of your 260s reamed out to 260AI...then you'll have both.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts