260ai or 300wsm??

My preference after working on and owning WSM's is the 7mm WSM
because of the wide range of bullets with good ballistics, excellent trajectory's and powder capacity for a short action cartridge.

The 7 WSM seems to work well for all game with the lighter bullets (120 to 140 grains) for hogs and deer and heavy bullets for large game at long ranges.

I have a 260 AI and love it but the WSM is definitely more powerful and will push the largest bullets fast.

J E CUSTOM

Talked to my smith last night. My current setup is in 308 it's the Savage 10T so it has a brake on it. Our plan, and probably the cheapest way to find out, is to just rechamber that barrel. Sure it's probably not gonna have the most potential in accuracy but I will have the opportunity to toss some 300wsm's downrange to see if that's what I want. It'll be around 24" with a brake so that'll give me a good feel for the round and setup. And $200 is far cheaper than going all out and discovering later not really what I was looking for. But my smith says I'm not gonna regret the 300wsm other than buying the components to reload another cartridge.

Talked to my smith last night. My current setup is in 308 it's the Savage 10T so it has a brake on it. Our plan, and probably the cheapest way to find out, is to just rechamber that barrel. Sure it's probably not gonna have the most potential in accuracy but I will have the opportunity to toss some 300wsm's downrange to see if that's what I want. It'll be around 24" with a brake so that'll give me a good feel for the round and setup. And $200 is far cheaper than going all out and discovering later not really what I was looking for. But my smith says I'm not gonna regret the 300wsm other than buying the components to reload another cartridge.

While he is cutting the new chamber you should have him cut back the barrel enough to remove the old threads and re-crown (shouldnt be too much extra to do this). Between that and a fresh chamber you might be shocked at how well it shoots.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.