260ai or 300wsm??

I'm thinking a 300wsm tossing 180 partitions will blow through anything I run across. And yes the CM I bit. But it is my go to for 1000-1200 yds on targets. I've got a 7-08 I use for deer currently. I load it with 140Berger VLD hunting bullets @2900fps. No deer have complained yet. Never shot the 300wsm on game but from what I've read I shouldn't need more. I have heard finding accuracy is the task. Whereas the 260ai is inherently accurate.
I've been amazed at the effective killing power of the .260 Rem on everything including 500+lbs hogs when loaded with the right bullet and good shot placement.

Yes you can certainly kill elk with a 6.5. More Red Deer and Moose have been killed in Europe with 6.5's than you can imagine and of course the 6.5x55 rules Africa for plains game.

That being said, the added energy you get with a heavy for caliber high velocity .30 gives you a margin for error that no 6.5 can.

If elk are just an outside possibility and you'd be willing to keep your shots to reasonable ranges and angles, the 6.5 makes perfect sense. If you're really intent on building an elk rifle the WSM makes more sense.

Ask yourself this.

"How likely am I to ever take a shot at an elk over 500 yards?"

"Which will I probably shoot more and enjoy more, a 6.5 or the wsm?".

Then make your decision.

For what it's worth if you're going to shoot Noslers I'm a much bigger fan of the Accubond than the Partition, they are just much more consistent and will shoot better.

I'm thinking a 300wsm tossing 180 partitions will blow through anything I run across. And yes the CM I bit. But it is my go to for 1000-1200 yds on targets. I've got a 7-08 I use for deer currently. I load it with 140Berger VLD hunting bullets @2900fps. No deer have complained yet. Never shot the 300wsm on game but from what I've read I shouldn't need more. I have heard finding accuracy is the task. Whereas the 260ai is inherently accurate.
The 300wsm is actually pretty easy to find a load for. Biggest issue for most is recoil management not the cartridge's ability to be consistent. This cartridge has a small following in F class. Just look at the winners circle on crappy days and you will find them

You already have a 6.5 CM. The difference between that and a 260AI is about 100-150 fps at best. Not enough so that you'll notice the difference at long range. I'd say get the 300 wsm. Wide range of 30 cal bullets and enough power to take care of anything that you want.

Build a 300wsm if hunting elk. With a 9 twist and shoot the 215 berger hybrid or 230. They just plain kill ****. The 225 eldm works great also. If you dont like recoil then put a break on it. I have had alot of 300wsm and a 260ai, yes the 260ai is fantastic but the wsm is a whole different can of worms for hunting big game especially.

Build a 300wsm if hunting elk. With a 9 twist and shoot the 215 berger hybrid or 230. They just plain kill ----. The 225 eldm works great also. If you dont like recoil then put a break on it. I have had alot of 300wsm and a 260ai, yes the 260ai is fantastic but the wsm is a whole different can of worms for hunting big game especially.
what barrel length did you go with on that 300?

You have a creed so get the wsm. Savage has a long magazine to seat the big bullets out and take advantage of the 300 wsm.

^^This, get some Reloder 16 for your Creedmoor if you want a hotter 6.5 (I've also heard of some pretty crazy velocity claims from people running Reloder 26 as well) , and then build the extra rifle in 300WSM since it appears to be a niche you haven't filled yet.

That said, this is kind of a do as I say not as I do kinda thing. I have two rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor currently and I was at a similar crossroads as you with a Rem 700 VLS originally in 308. That's at the smith getting a 26" 260AI barrel spun onto it as we speak.

For what its worth, I almost pulled the trigger on getting it re-barreled in 7mm SAUM but decided against it due to all the extra work to get my SA Remington opened up to run the bigger case head and longer COAL. Which, I know you said 300, but you should also look at the 7mm short options (284win, 7SAUM, or WSM). Since you said you hunt in the east and only might* get a shot at elk. The 7mm will beat you up a lot less than a 30cal magnum and be more practical for the majority of what you hunt while still being more than enough to take elk.... food for thought.

I think if I had a little more generous action/magazine length I probably would have gotten a WSM or SAUM barrel put on it, so your Savage makes this a lot easier with the changeable bolt heads and more generous internal specs for the long/fat WSM cases.

If you're going to build a 300wsm, do it right, build on a long action, run a 26" tube, run minimum if 225 freebore for 215+ gr bullets. With RL26 & H1000 you'll be close to 3k fps. When built properly the 300wsm hangs right with the standard win mag. It's very efficient.

A lot of good advise here. The best thing you got going is the Savage action- being able to change the bolt head as already mentioned.
If it ere me I'd look into the 7mm Sherman Short or the .30SS ://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/
Compare the ballistics, case life, ease of building brass and know you'd be unique among the crowd to boot. Good luck with your desicion!

If you want to go switch barrel, get a mausingfield or bighorn long action, set up to run from a magazine. That way you can pretty much shoot anything from 223 to 375RUM.

If you want to go switch barrel, get a mausingfield or bighorn long action, set up to run from a magazine. That way you can pretty much shoot anything from 223 to 375RUM.
I think th OP clearly is trying to utilize his SAVAGE action:D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.