.260 vs 6.5 Creedmore

Poor marketing by Remington and Hornadys design is more AR platform friendly. Brass availability has also been limited at times for the 260. Maybe that was only during the Obama crisis but I couldn't find any for a buddy with a 260 during that era.

I know this is an old post, but it also shows a lack of thought about parent cases. I'm from old school wild cat days.

308 win is the parent case. You could always get commercial or even cheaper military brass by the thousands. I used lots of range brass. Simply run it through the 260 dies. I also made 1000's of 243 only a little more work. You first size to 260 and then to 243. The neck becomes too thick. So you just buy the RCBS 3 way cutter/neck turning. Standard accurizing the cases is to make the neck concentric to the bore by neck turning.

Oh, did I forget to mention that I like custom barreled standard and AI rounds?

All the talk of powders many of you are using I am surprised to not see more H4350 being used. Is that due to the fact that it's hard to find or do you have other preferred powders? I haven't been able to find any data that would lead down any road that seems to arrive at a better destination than H4350.

There is a reason Hornady only loads 130 grain bullets for the 260 Rem. It's because it is better than the 6.5 CM in every way. I have both a 6.5 CM and a 260 Remington. I have gone though so much power trying to make the 6.5 CM duplicate 260 Rem performance and it has fail miserably. 6.5 CM is 200 FPS slower when matching powder to powder. 8"-9" more wind drift w/ 10 mph wind at 1,000 yards. 40" more drop than the 260 with same 140 grain Berger VLDs. I have tried so hard to prove myself wrong that the 6.5 CM is better. Bottom line is Marketing. Hornady is probably the king at that.
You must have a bad barrel on your creedmoor. I have 2-260s and 4-creeds and with the heavy bullets the creeds are all faster than the 260s

All the talk of powders many of you are using I am surprised to not see more H4350 being used. Is that due to the fact that it's hard to find or do you have other preferred powders? I haven't been able to find any data that would lead down any road that seems to arrive at a better destination than H4350.
I shoot a 260 Remington IMP 30` shoulders and love it. Im using IMR 4350 and getting great results.

I have followed this thread since its' inception only to glean that people have preferences and brand loyalty. Have been hunting with my Remington 700 mountain rifle 260AI for approx. 20 yrs. now. The factory bbl. has approx. 1000 rounds down the tube. It continues to group at around .50 with hand loads. It has accounted for many game heads from three continents thus far.
I will carry this rifle on a wilderness hunt this coming mid Sept. for elk, mule deer and white tail deer. ''This is my go to meat rifle. Has not failed me. Guess what I am getting at is find the accuracy load, equip with good optics and practice. Regardless whether it be 6.5 Creedmore or .260. It all comes down to being prepared to place the bullet in the right place. Both are good cartridges and are accurate. MTG

I have followed this thread since its' inception only to glean that people have preferences and brand loyalty. Have been hunting with my Remington 700 mountain rifle 260AI for approx. 20 yrs. now. The factory bbl. has approx. 1000 rounds down the tube. It continues to group at around .50 with hand loads. It has accounted for many game heads from three continents thus far.
I will carry this rifle on a wilderness hunt this coming mid Sept. for elk, mule deer and white tail deer. ''This is my go to meat rifle. Has not failed me. Guess what I am getting at is find the accuracy load, equip with good optics and practice. Regardless whether it be 6.5 Creedmore or .260. It all comes down to being prepared to place the bullet in the right place. Both are good cartridges and are accurate. MTG

I think you've got a winning formula, Sir. Pick and cartridge in that performance range, spend some time getting your accurate hunting load all figured out, and then practice a lot. The moderate recoil of cartridges in this group facilitate that, and practice is what makes good shot placement happen - near or far. This category has plenty of punch for the animals mentioned here, and any cartridge in this class is as good as any other. The one you like the most is the one that is best one for you.

Being an antagonistic and adversarial contrarian, I just like the 6.5 Creedmoor cause so many hate it. I remember back during the Obama gun scare, the CM hadn't really taken off yet. So, it was easy to find brass and ammo for it, on store shelves , when you couldn't for many other rounds. It was fun to shoot back then.

The Biden-Harris ticket scares me more than Obama ever did. You won't have a semi-auto anything in your house, not a rifle, pistol or shotgun. I know, no politics but this isn't about politics--it is life!!!
I've been through many "scares" an been able to buy guns through all of them, providing my personal economics were right. Ironically, my economics were better during the scares. 🤔

You must have a bad barrel on your creedmoor. I have 2-260s and 4-creeds and with the heavy bullets the creeds are all faster than the 260s
LoL!!! Sorry. Couldn't help it. I should prob cut off 10 % off all my casings so that all my rifles can pick up speed. I knew I was doing something wrong. Now wonder everyone is switching to 6.5 CM and not 264 WM. The 264 WM holds to much powder and looses to much speed.

This is also the guy that said in another thread quite sometime ago he worked up the load in his 260 til he popped primers then backed off .5 grains. People like this you cant reason with lol.

This is also the guy that said in another thread quite sometime ago he worked up the load in his 260 til he popped primers then backed off .5 grains. People like this you cant reason with lol.
No sir it was with the 6.5 CM that I said that. I was trying to make the 6.5 CM perform like everyone else's. Everybody's 6.5 CM on this sight seems to be 200 FPS faster Than everyone else's.

I've personally seen 4 different Creed's shoot over 2950 with 147eldms using rl26. And no primer popping. My friends Creed shoots 140s at 3000 fps with 7828ssc. Hornady brass. Mine does 2975 with lapua brass and 147eldms with rl26. I'm sure the 260 can beat it by 50 fps but why bother. Just shoot the one you have there is very little difference between them. The Creed is just a better more modern design that fits into a normal short action better. Better shoulder angle and straighter wall. But performance wise either will do what the other gets done.
Shep

I've personally seen 4 different Creed's shoot over 2950 with 147eldms using rl26. And no primer popping. My friends Creed shoots 140s at 3000 fps with 7828ssc. Hornady brass. Mine does 2975 with lapua brass and 147eldms with rl26. I'm sure the 260 can beat it by 50 fps but why bother. Just shoot the one you have there is very little difference between them. The Creed is just a better more modern design that fits into a normal short action better. Better shoulder angle and straighter wall. But performance wise either will do what the other gets done.
Shep
I agree with you on shoot what you have. Totally agree 100 percent. A key factor that people leave out sometimes on this site is barrel length. I and most people on here are long range hunters. So from what I've learned over the years is most hunters use a 24" to 26" barrels.(( I'm not saying all hunters )) now for some reason there is a lot of bench rest and target shooters on here as well and all they do is bash the long range hunter. It makes me feel good that bench rest shooter get on a long range hunting sight to get good solid information that is used out in the field on live game. I've been to my fair share of bench shooting competitions The majority of the rifles there seam to have a minimum of a 28" barrel. Most are over 30". All the 6.5 CM I've seen get chronographed at the range shooting 140 grain up to the 147 grain hitting around the 3000 FPS mark are using 30" plus barrels. There is a few People I've seen that are changing out the action To a medium action so they can seat their bullets longer and get their velocity up and turn around and post my 6.5 CM can launch 147 grain bullets at 3000 FPS. But they are not giving all the details. Not giving all the details is what gets people hurt or worse, killed. That is why I try and be very specific on the info I give people on here. I do not know their knowledge or skill set. How would this look? " My 260 Remington can shoot the new 156 grain Berger bullets at 2850 FPS." People would be like there is no way. That's impossible. Now if I had A complete sentence and All the info and said I have a custom built 260 Rem, Defiant Medium length action, 32" Krieger barrel with 5R riffling. My 260 Remington AI can launch 156 grain Bergers VLDs at 2850 FPS.That would be a little more complete And a little more believable. A 6.5 CM shooting 147 grain bullets from a 24" barrel and a compressed load I've only seen around the 2750 ish FPS. But for some reason people are claiming 2950, 2975, I've even read a few on hear claiming 3000 FPS. People are leaving out key factors. Barrel length, Custom action, ( standard short or custom medium). Please let's keep people safe. There are some people on here that are just getting into this passion of long range hunting and shooting. We should share our mistakes so that they don't do the same. Stay safe, have fun, And shoot straight.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.