.260 vs 6.5 Creedmore

The new high bc extra long bullets are certainly more creedmoor friendly.
The 156 Berger is a little over 3 inches when seated optimally in a 260 remington... which is obviously a no go on a short action.

2.9ish seated optimally in a creed where I want a rifle throated.

I like a 260 but these ultra high bc bullets will be the final nail in the coffin im afraid. It's a just a dated design that time and technology have gotten ahead of.

Remington sucks - their marketing sucks, the R&D sucks, they have no idea what long range hunters/shooters want or need. Thats why none of their 260 offerings came with a twist rate fast enough to stabilize the high BC 6.5 bullets.

Edit: to sum it all up they are idiots and they suck. The 6.5 creedmoor never would have been necessary if Remington hadn't screwed the pooch on the 260.

That pretty well sums it up as well as I could put it

The new high bc extra long bullets are certainly more creedmoor friendly.
The 156 Berger is a little over 3 inches when seated optimally in a 260 remington... which is obviously a no go on a short action.

2.9ish seated optimally in a creed where I want a rifle throated.

I like a 260 but these ultra high bc bullets will be the final nail in the coffin im afraid. It's a just a dated design that time and technology have gotten ahead of.
The 156 @ 2.900" is way deep in a 6.5 creed. Seated properly in a .260 the 156 is right about 3.1", and a little under 3" in a 6.5 creed. But your right, the 6.5 creed is set up better to run high bc bullets compared to the .260.

Unless you do the simple install of a 3.1" Bainey mag box and throat a .260 properly.

2.92 is what I get in a creed and 3.08 in a 260 if we want to get specific.

That's just my preference as I plan for throat erosion over the entire life of the barrel. Im not a huge fan of set backs or rebarrelling before I get my money's worth out of a blank.

On a side note Berger reports 2800fps with a creed at 2.8 inches with the 156 and rl26.

No data available from them for the 260 and thre 156 Berger when I called unfortunately.

Last edited:
I have the same gun waiting on a scope to get my wife into the mid-long range game and loads ideas would be welcomed!
My paltry Hawk Hill was throated for 140 Hybrids & evidently the 140 Accubonds.

Hodgdon extreme powders like 4350, 4831, & 4831SC have burned well in my lowly .260.

I bought some of them high super specialmystic Alpha Brass with the little bitty primer hole but I've never used them.

Seems 2850fps is safe for bout an eon or 2 out of this boring ol' Lapua brass.

My kids 260 model 700 sps has a 1in 8 twist.
Them things is turrible: you oughta sail it & get you one of them 6.5 Creedmoars.

Seriously,
I've looked for the last 18 months for one of those for my kids with absolutely 0 luck.

I broke down & bought an American in .308 this past Saturday as a get by.

Evidently I'm just going to have to build a other-side-bolt 2sicky for them too.

There are several factory rifles now that have good triggers and stock and guaranteed sub moa accuracy right out of the gates. Name me one Remington that you can say that about? Their 5r Gen 2 is probably the closest, but it comes with an HS precision stock, and the X Mark Pro trigger is one of the worst factory triggers out there. Almost every other rifle manufacturer has come out with a long range hunting rifle that doesn't HAVE to have an upgrade.
Name one rifle that has as many aftermarket options as the rem700. It's like the mr potatohead of rifles :)

with heavy bullets in the .260 run N560 with the 142 gr. or go with the 6.55x55 in a cz 550, the magazine box with take a full lenth loaded 3006 and that's 3.340.