.260 vs 6.5 Creedmore

Why is the 6.5 CM much more popular than the .260 ?
On paper the .260 is better, flatter, more energy; but not as popular.

Is it because of all the magazines articles ?

The Creed is just newer so to me its just a new fad.

The .260 has been around since 1997 & won many many comps soon after so to say the CM is more accurate is just BS.

The thing I do like about the .260 is that you can form brass from .243/7-08/.308

Sure, there are other 6.5 cartridges that can out perform both the .260 & 6.5CM in the velocity game so if you want to shott further/flatter/faster then pick one of them.

To address the OPs question IMO the reason 6.5 CM is so much more popular is because of the support behind the cartridge (as several others have stated). When you have most major gun manufacturers producing fast twist barreled rifles combined with a ton of cheap high quality factory ammo in favor of the 6.5 CM then it's no wonder why it's taken over. I also don't think it's a "fad" anymore, especially now with the military adopting the cartridge and with all the the factory options for the civilian market. It's here to stay and will continue to thrive over the 260 Rem in the mainstream market.

While a lot of us on this forum reload and can push a cartridge to its full potential we also have to keep in mind that the large majority of shooters/hunters don't reload, so they aren't going to see the full capabilities of the 260 compared to the 6.5 CM. Because of that industry support alone will continue to carry the CM well over the 260 in popularity.

F1453F13-A492-4AD4-AEAD-9BB85A21C32B.png
Apparently, Mach 1 and I are on the same page. I have owned a 260 Rem in the past and currently own a 6.5 Creedmoor. Both are great rounds, but I would suggest that much of the current hype surrounding the 6.5 Creedmoor is just that - hype. I have not been able to get my Creedmore up to the performance of my old 260. I recognize that rifle characteristics and barrel length can have some impact on that. But I believe the real difference for me had more to do with my reloading than anything else.

From what I have seen, the 260 Rem and 6.5 CM appear to be close in terms of velocity when comparing load data. However, that is with an unlevel playing field. Min/Max loads for the Rem 260 tend to be 58,500 - 59,600 in pressure. The 6.5 CM is typically run at 60,200 - 60,500. If you push the 260 to those same pressures, then the difference becomes more apparent. I only used Lapua brass in my 260 because it could withstand the higher loading pressures I was using. Lapua doesn't make brass for the 6.5 CM (yet). I have been hearing good things about ADG, so maybe my 6.5 CM can be boosted a little more with high quality brass.

As to the arguments of 'better case design' and 'more inherently accurate', these claims are hard to quantify or justify. However, I would hasten to point out that the 260 Rem is nothing more than a 308 Win case necked down to .264. The claims regarding case design and inherent accuracy of the 308 were and still are the mantra for most of the bench competition shooters, so I am at a loss as to when and how the Rem 260 lost those same attributes.
Lapua has made brass for the Creedmoor since 2017 I believe. You can order it right now on Midway.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts