.260 Remington reloading help

I haven't tried RL26. QuickLoad doesn't give it high marks; too slow to be highly efficient. With your bullet, 100% case fill should be around 46.7 grains, which should get you to 2800 fps from a 24-inch barrel, with comparatively low pressure (approx. 45,200 psi). If you want to give it a try, I recommend you back off from 46.7.

ETA: QL predicts 2850 fps from a 26-inch barrel, which isn't bad at all. Maybe I'll try it in my .260 Rem.

Last edited:
I think reloader 16 or staball will hum the 6.5 bullets.. In my 6.5/06 I get great resulta with reloader 25 h 100 and looks like staball will be great.. it burning rate is close to h-4350 but it seams to have a lower pressure for the velocities.. I thin the powder that hums the 257 roberts will work well in the 260. the 260 will eat the 6,5 creedless lunch.

I recently had a Savage long range hunter rebarreled to a 1-8 twist. 260 Remington. I bought some Sierra .264 diameter 130gr. tipped Gamechanger bullets. I will be using ADG brass and federal 210M primers. My question, I have both Alliant Reloder 26 and Winchester Staball but can't find any load information for either powder. I called the Sierra technician today and he had nothing for the Reloder 26 and as far as he knew they haven't even tried Staball. If I could just find a max load on either or even better, both, I would at least have a stopping point. ADG advises 10% below max load anyway and I don't usually load Max anyway. Any information from you veterans would be greatly appreciated.
There is A excellent Thread on here with loads for 260's and 6.5 Creedmore using RL26. I found it very useful

I haven't tried RL26. QuickLoad doesn't give it high marks; too slow to be highly efficient. With your bullet, 100% case fill should be around 46.7 grains, which should get you to 2800 fps from a 24-inch barrel, with comparatively low pressure (approx. 45,200 psi). If you want to give it a try, I recommend you back off from 46.7.

ETA: QL predicts 2850 fps from a 26-inch barrel, which isn't bad at all. Maybe I'll try it in my .260 Rem.
Thanks legionnaire. How do you like Quickload? Thought about getting it. Is it pretty easy to navigate?

I think reloader 16 or staball will hum the 6.5 bullets.. In my 6.5/06 I get great resulta with reloader 25 h 100 and looks like staball will be great.. it burning rate is close to h-4350 but it seams to have a lower pressure for the velocities.. I thin the powder that hums the 257 roberts will work well in the 260. the 260 will eat the 6,5 creedless lunch.
Montana west, can't find anything for Staball either.

@tim1457, I like QuickLoad a lot. It's not hard to master the basics, but it has features (parameters) I've not even begun to play with. You can tune its performance with your own data, such as entering actual H2O capacity of cases fired in your gun (I do this).

I'm a tinkerer and use it across a wide spectrum of cartridges, powders, and projectiles. If you're a very basic loader looking for one good load, it's probably not worth the investment. For me, though, hand loading is as fun a part of the hobby as shooting, so it was worth it to me.

I've been a fan of the .260 cartridge when it was the wildcat 6.5-'08, long before it was legitimized by Remington. I've used my rifles chambered in that great cartridge mostly for hunting and have had consistently good accuracy and terminal performance results with various Sierra bullets. I found 1:9 twist barrels don't work the best for heavy bullets so stay with 1:8. Surprisingly H4831sc has worked very well in all my guns. I've tinkered with many powder/bullet combinations and tried H4831sc on a fluke, not expecting a powder that slow to perform well . . . but it really has. Enjoy your .260 and I hope you have a fantastic Independence Day 2020!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.