.260 Remington build advice

NZshooter

Hey everyone! First time here, Posting all the way from New Zealand...looking forward to hearing from all you folks overseas.

So as the title says, I'm extremely keen on building a tactical style hunting rifle in .260 Remington and for anyone who has done their research on this particular caliber you will know why I want one and also why it would make an awesome tactical long range hunting rifle.

One thing I should mention is I will be reloading, and here in NZ I can easily get good quality brass Lapua, Norma etc and a good range of 6.5mm projectiles.

I want the rifle in a Remington 700 platform which you cant get but the route i'm thinking about going is to go ahead and buy a Rem 700 SPS or SPS varmint model in obviously a short action e.g .243 .308 and then getting a custom barrel/chamber built for it. Now for the advice would you guys recommend doing this? or is there possibly a more cost effective way of achieving what I want. If this all goes ahead I would also be upgrading to a DBM system, trigger and stock as I know these things don't even come with free floated barrel.

Would love to hear any advice or info you might have on the topic, Thanks in advance!!

If you plan on running heavy long bullets through your mag you may want a long action for the 260, or go w/ a 6.5creedmoor and keep it a short action.

Otherwise it sounds like a plan, if that is what you want then go for it. When you mention cost effectiveness and no budget it is hard to give good feedback. Are you going to true the action? Did you plan on running the factory stock? or go w/ a custom? Reason I ask is you're probably better off getting the stock you want with the dbm inletted rather than revisiting after you've already built.

I'm not familiar w/ the restrictions you have there, but I'll echo what everyone else says and from experience, get what you want. Don't cut corners and if you can help it don't substitute b/c you will always want your original idea.... cry once my friend.

I also suggest a long action for the 260 Rem and use a 8" twist barrel at least 24" long. I would also suggest that you narrow down to the longest bullet you will use and have the throat cut to fit touching the lands with a bullet seated in a case with the base of the bullet one caliber length (.264) seated in the case. This will allow you to have some wiggle room to play with seating depth and give you a full case capacity. I know you stated you want a Rem 700 action but you can get the same results from a Savage action and with just a few tools you can do all the work yourself and save LOTS of money. Just my 2 cents worth. :D

If I were on a budget I'd def be looking at the savage 12 long range precision 6.5cm. I just found this rifle and am seriously looking at it, we have a local steel match I could use this at.

My 260 is standard Rem 700 short action with regular AI mags and while mag length prevents me from touching the lands, running 140g Berger hybrids I've found this to amount to exactly nothing. I've never found jump to be much concern with any bullet through this gun frankly as I've shot 142 SMK's, 130 Berger vld's, and the 140 hybrids all with the same <.5moa accuracy. I wouldn't worry about needing a long action.

Just my $0.02 anyway.............

This is just how I look at it, but if you are going to step up to a long action, step up to the next size cartridge. If I was going with a long action, I would look into the 6.5-06, 6.5-06 Ackley, or 6.5 Sherman. Just my opinion though. gun)

I kind of happened into this one but I am really enjoying it.

Trued Rem 700 short action
Shilen 4R 1-8 twist barrel 22" threaded w/cap
KRG X-ray chassis w/AICS magazine
Jard Model V trigger upgrade kit 14oz
Nightforce 20 moa rail w/ IOR Vtac medium rings
Trijicon 5-20x50 accupoint w/ vortex bubble

I don't know how much of this you can get in NZ but I don't think you would be sorry.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.