260 remington 700 sps question for long range

richeyman1

Hey guys,

I ran across a good deal on a 260 sps NIB and went ahead and bought it. I have a Mcrees precision g7 chassis that I had had paired with a 308, but will be moving to the 260. The question I have, is on the sps in the 260 it seems like the barrel will be a lighter contour than the sps varmint style. I haven't received the gun yet, but wondering about threading that barrel and using it for some long range shooting. Questions being, is that barrel too light to thread for my suppressor, and if not, will that contour of a barrel heat up and cause accuracy issues during strings of 5-10 shots? Just looking for advice here on what I should, could, or can do. Thanks!

Greg

It will be smaller than the varmint contour. How the rifle is mated to that Mcrees stock will play a big roll in how fast that barrel starts walking up on you. If you shoot 10 shots in fairly rapid succession and don't wait a few minutes before doing it again, I would think that barrel will heat up and walk a bit. That's just MHO.

Thanks for the input, i wondered if the Mcrees would help out. I think the succession after those 10 shots will be a while the way the competitions are set up. Thanks again!

Thanks for the input, i wondered if the Mcrees would help out. I think the succession after those 10 shots will be a while the way the competitions are set up. Thanks again!
The SPS is a really cheap low end M700 and they also had lots of QC issues for quite some time.

You may be lucky and have stumbled onto a real shooter but the odds are not in your favor.

The Gen 2 milspec and LR tend to be great shooters so before jumping too far into this you may want to consider selling it and seeing if you can find one of the others at a decent price in either 260 or 6.5CM.

Once you pull the trigger on it you've gone from a new rifle to used and the resale value will crater.

I have one with a 24" barrel and 1-8 twist and it loves varget and N560 and shoots very well. 120-129-142 gr bullets. I put a Remington syn factory DM stock on it that I like.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.