260 rem vs 6.5x55

novaman64

Looking at tradin in the 243, and getting a 6.5mm sized bullet. I originally bought the 243 as a 1 round do all, but now I am thinking I will get a 6.5mm sized bullet, and then save up and down the road look into getting a 223... For now a 6.5 will still kill a coyote (im not after fur).

Anyways, I was looking at getting a Tikka T3 Lite. Doesnt look like you can get one chambered in 260 rem in the US, but you can get a 6.5x55. Whats the difference in the rounds? I was looking to shoot berger VLD's in either a 130 grain... The main reason I liked the 260 was that I could save all my 243 brass and neck it up to 260....

I would like to try and stretch it out at the range to 1000yrds on occasion... Other than that will be a deer/pig gunl and coyote untill I get a 223....

You'll get more out of the 6.5x55 than 260, the round has been around since 1894. Tons of bullets and reload data. The best deer caliber on the planet. It can go 1000 yards but you need a longer barrel than the Tikka has. Buy the Tikka, you will do everything you need to with it. If you want to go real long range just upgrade the barrel length and quality. Consider a 22-250 over the 223 it's better for Varmints but more expensive ammo.
I love 223's though.

Ed

The 6.5x55 is the clear choice for all big game, and smaller. The Norwegians Swedes and Finns been killing moose and caribou with it for the last 125 years and it works great( in spite of what the magnumheads here will tell you).

In Australia the only tikka model in 260 rem is the T3 varmint,would make a great rifle. I cant imagine they would have them in OZ and not the USA.

the two are pretty much equals. Get the one that is available in the rifle you want...
I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the T-3. I posted a long thread in the gunsmithing section about the T-3 and its predecessor, the M595.

novaman64,
If you were going with a semi auto or detachable magazine rifle; like the AR's or M1A's I say go with the .260 Rem. In a bolt rifle, and with a long action; I'd take the 6.5x55mm Swede hands down. Both are great cartridges making it a very hard pick. With said the 6.5x55mm will shade the .260 Rem in just about every category if hand loaded.

If you reload you've got a lot more potential with the Swede. If you shoot factory ammo I'd go with the .260. Only downfall of the 6.5x55 in a factory rifle is that the standard chamber is generally long throated for the 160grn round nose bullets which can make it difficult to seat 130-140 grain bullets any where near the lands and still fit in the magazine, and you can completely forget about the lighter for caliber bullets. If you are willing to go to the expense of building a custom rifle PT&G makes a 6.5x55 Match reamer that cuts to standard cartridge dimensions but cuts the throat to optimum length for the 130-140grn secant ogive bullets at magazine length. I'm pretty happy with mine built on a '98 Mauser action. Not counting the action I've got around $600 invested in it and it is the best shooter in my safe.

[SIZE=+1]As an after thought; if you really want to turn the heat up down the road with your 6.5x55mm Swede'..., you can rechamber to something like the 6.5x55 Vais... The inventor was George Vais of High Tech Gunworks out of Boise Idaho, who was also the original Vais brake design genius.... He now resides on the inland of Thassos Greece his home town. This cartridge is a real junk hauler... I beleive most the pipe hitters I've know, that have used it'..., walk away from the bench say; "wow" that's some cartridge for it case size.. The 6.5x55 Vais is known for it's speed, barrel life and accuracy as a long range hitter.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]As an after thought; if you really want to turn the heat up down the road with your 6.5x55mm Swede'..., you can rechamber to something like the 6.5x55 Vais... The inventor was George Vais of High Tech Gunworks out of Boise Idaho, who was also the original Vais brake design genius.... He now resides on the inland of Thassos Greece his home town. This cartridge is a real junk hauler... I beleive most the pipe hitters I've know, that have used it'..., walk away from the bench say; "wow" that's some cartridge for it case size.. The 6.5x55 Vais is known for it's speed, barrel life and accuracy as a long range hitter.
[/SIZE]

I've met George. Quite a character.

Yes he is..... and one of the best barrel mechanic in the game. I still get a email(s) from Greece, once and awhile from him.

It's been awhile since anyone has visited this post, but my vote is for the 6.5x55. I was lucky to have a long magazine holder so I have them kissing the lands...Also, with all the new bullets from Berger and Matrix your options have increased.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.