260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

• Total voters
Telling us you already have a tikka t3 lite in 300 WSM & a Rem 700 in an HS precision stock in 7mm Rem mag just changed the situation GREATLY! Since you already have a .300 WSM & 7mm Rem mag, you already have appropriate rifles for the larger game & we are really looking at what's appropriate for the smaller game on your list.

Now with the choice between a .260 Rem & a 6.5-06 it's a no-brainer, go with the .260 Rem (or possibly a .25-06). Each of these has low recoil, readily available factory ammunition if needed, and each is known to be inherently accurate. Each will take you to the range/game size where you need your larger guns while being comfortable shooting more rounds than you would want to shoot from the magnums.

The tikka t3 lite you own is a great cary gun. The problem with the Tikka is that it's optimized for being light, which makes it great to cary but less than fun to shoot with that powerful of a round. The Tikkas tend to be very accurate factory rifles. Putting a heavier barrel on the Tikka and/or a muzzle brake would tame the recoil & you may then find you already own the long-range elk rifle you want.

I had the tikka when I posted this but the rem is new. Originally I was looking for a gun that was lighter recoiling ,more enjoyable to shoot, than the 300 wsm in the tikka. This gun would become my primary hunting gun and the tikka would be a backup, or elk gun as I primarily hunt deer with a modern firearm and elk with a bow. Then this remmy deal showed up. So now Im considering making the rem my longrange heavy hitter and either leaving it as a 7 rem mag or upgrading to a 7 stw, 7-300 win mag, or most likely a 7 rem ultra mag and using a 28" barrel with a muzzle break, 200 wildcat ulds and high power optics looking at selling the burris to help pay for a vortex viper pst with FFP in 6.5-20 if they ever come out. So that leaves me with my lighter carry gun, the tikka. So now Im thinking either a 270 wsm, easiest because it uses the same bolt face and mags, or ideally rebarreling to a 260 rem but that means a new bolt and mags. decisions decisions. Probably easier to sell the tikka and get a stevens or savage but I hate selling my guns and I painted the stock so I doubt Ill get enough for the gun to make it worth selling. Im really leaning towards the 260 route just because it would be the most enjoyable to shoot I understand its not the most practical but maybe better in the long run between barrel life, powder and other things being considered

ok scratch the tikka to anything with a new bolt face, they want 385 dallors for a new bolt. Wow! They wanted 300 for a wood stock, the gun costs about 500 or so these replacement part are ridicolous. Ill probably never buy anything sako again. It would be cheaper just to get a steven or savage if thats what I wanted to do. Unless anyone has another idea or someone has a 308 blotface and wants to trade thier bolt and mags.

My tikka with "custom" paint
IMG_0381.jpg

For what it is worth: Most of my hunting since the 1960's has been with a 6.5 Remington magnum in a custom rifle which had all the advantages the factory weapons did not. My competition shooting at 600-1,000 has been with the 6.5 x 284. When I compare the problems the magnum brass caused at higher pressures compared to the 6.5 x 284 I wished I would have had the 6.5 x 284 chambering in both all this time.

Most shooters who may choose the 6.5-'06 have not owned one. It is not a bad cartridge. With modern powders you can virtually duplicate its performance with the .260. One hundred feet per second difference can't be seen on a three hundred yard target and no animal you wish to hunt could ever tell the difference. An elks' lungs and heart are large, push a modern expanding bullet through either organ and that elk will die.

Accuracy, can you get enough of it? If you know the distance to the target and know your trajectory shoot that which recoils less and does not affect the five different nerves that run through your axilla ( armpit) region. Human beings respond to being punched in the shoulder, so moreso, some less. It takes time to really get to know a rifle. Learn about the rifle with the cartridge/barrel that lasts longer. In the long run, if 'smithed correctly you will grow to appreciate the .260, long after the concerns over some small amount of velocity are long forgotten.

Good Luck in your search.

A BIG +1

This my friends is the smartest and best Post on this site in a long time.
I suggest reading it and re-reading it
Good Job and Merry Christmas to you all

Between the 2 I've decided to go with the 260 I was hoping to convert my tikka to this nut I have a magnum bolt face and they want 385 dallors for a new bolt which would be just silly to do this. So unless someone wants to trade bolts and mags Ill just wait and get another gun to turn into a 260. Originally I was hoing to purchase a new gun for this but the 7 mag deal was to good to turn down. Still tossing aroung the idea of selling that tikka to make way for the 260

When I was looking for a 260 I was contemplating just rebarreling my 243, I decided instead to wait and save up the money for the 260. So glad I did as I would have missed the 243 and it would have been a shame to waste a perfectly good barrel. Instead of converting the 300 WSM why not put a removable muzzle break on it? That way you could practice more with it and save up for the 260 you want. I would do that first, sell it right out second, or re-barrel it to 270 WSM third.

Just a side note to you all who say the 6.5 isn't enough to kill anything larger than a deer... don't tell the Swede's that. They've been killing moose up there w/the 6.5X55 which is virtually identical to the .260 for about 100 years or so now!
I'd go w/the .260... also Savage will be offering the venerable .260 in about 4 of thier platforms in 2011!

Gentlemen:

In the 6.5-06 category, I have heard (unconfirmed) that the 6.5-270 will hold about 1.75 - 2.0 grains more powder than the 6.5-06 due to the longer neck. Can this be confirmed?

This will be a pure hunting rifle with mild recoil (vs. 300 mags) using a 140 grain bullet and I am attempting to get as close as possible to 3000 feet per second out of a 25-26 inch, 9 twist barrel so the extra grain or two is important.

I see RCBS is making 6.5x64 dies...

Thanks for any input

Gentlemen:

In the 6.5-06 category, I have heard (unconfirmed) that the 6.5-270 will hold about 1.75 - 2.0 grains more powder than the 6.5-06 due to the longer neck. Can this be confirmed?

This will be a pure hunting rifle with mild recoil (vs. 300 mags) using a 140 grain bullet and I am attempting to get as close as possible to 3000 feet per second out of a 25-26 inch, 9 twist barrel so the extra grain or two is important.

Thanks for any input

NOT TRUE! It is true that a ..270 case holds that much more than an '06 case but only because a .270 has a longer neck. When chambered for 6.5-06, you have to shorten the neck to fit the chamber, which is an advantage when forming 6.5-06 brass, but does not increase case capacity. Unless you use a reamer that increases the body diameter or length, you will end up with the same capacity. Examples of increased capacity are the 6.5 A.I., 6.5 Gibbs, or my 6.5 Sherman, but they all increase the body size of the case. Hope this helps........Rich

Gentlemen:

Thanks for any input

Just realized that you did say 6.5-.270. If the reamer is full length .270, then the statement is true. My bad!.......Rich

For what it is worth: Most of my hunting since the 1960's has been with a 6.5 Remington magnum in a custom rifle which had all the advantages the factory weapons did not. My competition shooting at 600-1,000 has been with the 6.5 x 284. When I compare the problems the magnum brass caused at higher pressures compared to the 6.5 x 284 I wished I would have had the 6.5 x 284 chambering in both all this time.

Most shooters who may choose the 6.5-'06 have not owned one. It is not a bad cartridge. With modern powders you can virtually duplicate its performance with the .260. One hundred feet per second difference can't be seen on a three hundred yard target and no animal you wish to hunt could ever tell the difference. An elks' lungs and heart are large, push a modern expanding bullet through either organ and that elk will die.

Accuracy, can you get enough of it? If you know the distance to the target and know your trajectory shoot that which recoils less and does not affect the five different nerves that run through your axilla ( armpit) region. Human beings respond to being punched in the shoulder, so moreso, some less. It takes time to really get to know a rifle. Learn about the rifle with the cartridge/barrel that lasts longer. In the long run, if 'smithed correctly you will grow to appreciate the .260, long after the concerns over some small amount of velocity are long forgotten.

Good Luck in your search.

Need to give this a Merry Christmas.... Bump !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.