.260 rem vs .243 med range target and varmint

mattri

Looking at both of the calibers for a medium range target/varmint rifle. This will not be a hunting rifle or a dedicated br gun. I'd like to be able to take it out in the desert occasionally and maybe enter a local/informal match from time to time.

Looking at 100, 300 and 600 yard ranges, 600 probably being the outer limits of either round, especially in my hands. I know the 6br, 6.5-284, 30br etc all fit the bill but would rather stick with something simple and readily available.

I like the versatility and bullet selection of the .243 but am concerned about its performance past 300-400 yards. I know people shoot them very well at 1k yards but again this isn't a br set-up and frankly I'm not that good.

The .260 brings a lot to the table as well. Very easy to find rifles/actions for, barrrel swaps from a .308 are easy. I also like its performance on the wind, where I live that is a major consideration.

Again, looking for a factory based rifle that will perform well out to 600 yard without costing more than my truck or being useless off a bench at a known distance. Any ideas appreciated, Matt.

Looking at both of the calibers for a medium range target/varmint rifle. This will not be a hunting rifle or a dedicated br gun. I'd like to be able to take it out in the desert occasionally and maybe enter a local/informal match from time to time.

Looking at 100, 300 and 600 yard ranges, 600 probably being the outer limits of either round, especially in my hands. I know the 6br, 6.5-284, 30br etc all fit the bill but would rather stick with something simple and readily available.

I like the versatility and bullet selection of the .243 but am concerned about its performance past 300-400 yards. I know people shoot them very well at 1k yards but again this isn't a br set-up and frankly I'm not that good.

The .260 brings a lot to the table as well. Very easy to find rifles/actions for, barrrel swaps from a .308 are easy. I also like its performance on the wind, where I live that is a major consideration.

Again, looking for a factory based rifle that will perform well out to 600 yard without costing more than my truck or being useless off a bench at a known distance. Any ideas appreciated, Matt.

Matt;
Between the two I would vote for the 260 Rem.

Better bullet selection.better down range ballistics and readily available ammo.

There are a lot of good bullets for the 6.5 and you could go lighter for varmints or
heavy for long range targets.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Matt;
Between the two I would vote for the 260 Rem.

Better bullet selection.better down range ballistics and readily available ammo.

There are a lot of good bullets for the 6.5 and you could go lighter for varmints or
heavy for long range targets.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

+1....

A heavy fast bullet beats a light fast bullet every time.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.