.260 Rem. & Superformance Powder

Sargesniper

Has Anyone Tried This Powder? Hornady Will Not Print Any Load Data For What I Believe They Fear They May Take Away From Their CM Cartridge. They Stated That This Powder Only Works In Specific Cartridges. I Can Only Think They May Have Tried It And Found It To Be Very Good And Don't Want To Publish Any Data. What Do You All Think?

A buddy has been testing Superformance in his custom 260 Rem. It has a 26" Obermyer barrel and the velocities that he has been able to achieve with a 140 A-max are remarkable. I don't have the data handy but can get it if you are interested.

Has Anyone Tried This Powder? Hornady Will Not Print Any Load Data For What I Believe They Fear They May Take Away From Their CM Cartridge. They Stated That This Powder Only Works In Specific Cartridges. I Can Only Think They May Have Tried It And Found It To Be Very Good And Don't Want To Publish Any Data. What Do You All Think?

They dont wish to publish anything that some dunderhead will TRY and copy and thusly THEY end up in a lawsuit.

They dont wish to publish anything that some dunderhead will TRY and copy and thusly THEY end up in a lawsuit.

Isn't loading data in all the manuals published by the bullet/powder manufactures so that us "dunderheads" can use it as a guide? Why would data for the Superformance powder be any different? Just because the data is published in the manuals does not make it is safe in every gun. If you don't know how to inturpret the pressure signs, then you shouldn't be reloading anyway. Superformance is not some black magic powder that can only be loaded by the manufacture.

Isn't loading data in all the manuals published by the bullet/powder manufactures so that us "dunderheads" can use it as a guide? Why would data for the Superformance powder be any different? Just because the data is published in the manuals does not make it is safe in every gun. If you don't know how to inturpret the pressure signs, then you shouldn't be reloading anyway. Superformance is not some black magic powder that can only be loaded by the manufacture.

Tell the guys that are having primers popping back....soot streaks all over their casings....split casings...etc. If...IF the variation level for SF powders is extremely low...you will never seen data given out to the free world....too much risk. And dont think for a second that the powder you buy in a 1 lb can or an 8 lb jug is identical to what companys are loading into their ammo. They load the very best using multi million dollar equipment to make their ammo, whereas "we" get the floor sweepings to reload with.

Tell the guys that are having primers popping back....soot streaks all over their casings....split casings...etc. If...IF the variation level for SF powders is extremely low...you will never seen data given out to the free world....too much risk. And dont think for a second that the powder you buy in a 1 lb can or an 8 lb jug is identical to what companys are loading into their ammo. They load the very best using multi million dollar equipment to make their ammo, whereas "we" get the floor sweepings to reload with.

How does what you just said apply to SF powder? If the variation level is extremely low how is that too much risk? They can have the best powder and million dollar equipment, my reloads with the floor sweepings shoot better than any factory I have ever tried. Not trying to get in a pi**ing match with you, but your logic makes no sense.
To the op, if you are interested in the data, shoot me a pm.

How does what you just said apply to SF powder? If the variation level is extremely low how is that too much risk? They can have the best powder and million dollar equipment, my reloads with the floor sweepings shoot better than any factory I have ever tried. Not trying to get in a pi**ing match with you, but your logic makes no sense.
To the op, if you are interested in the data, shoot me a pm.

Ok...ya got apples and ya got oranges....

If the variability of the powders performance is a NARROW spectrum...all one has to do is Underload or Overload from that spectrum band and POW...you got trouble. If the spectrum is WIDE you can load with a teaspoon or a snow shovel...and the only difference is the BANG ( and of course the velocity) when it goes off.!! The factory can drop powder exactly as much as they wish....plus or minus a fly speck.

Im not saying performance powder is DEFINITELY like that...but it may be the reason.

Ok...ya got apples and ya got oranges....

If the variability of the powders performance is a NARROW spectrum...all one has to do is Underload or Overload from that spectrum band and POW...you got trouble. If the spectrum is WIDE you can load with a teaspoon or a snow shovel...and the only difference is the BANG ( and of course the velocity) when it goes off.!! The factory can drop powder exactly as much as they wish....plus or minus a fly speck.

Im not saying performance powder is DEFINITELY like that...but it may be the reason.

My Harrels powder measure drops Superperformance to .05 gr accuracy. The powder is a bit slower than H-4831 but should be careful because more can fit.

My Harrels powder measure drops Superperformance to .05 gr accuracy. The powder is a bit slower than H-4831 but should be careful because more can fit.

Could very well be. I havent tried it and dont want to try it.

Try substituting a charge of 4831 with the same weight of SP. See what it acts like.

My understanding is that the SP powder we buy on the shelf is not the same mix as what Hornady loads in the SP line of cartridges. Just like Federal does not publish load data for their factory ammo. Hornady does list some SP loads for various cartridges in their reloading guide though.

I did just buy a jar of SP powder the other day though to try in my Creedmoor as my favorite powder OF ALL TIME H4350 cannot be found anywhere in the USA right now! Or my beloved Federal 210M primers either! gun)

My understanding is that the SP powder we buy on the shelf is not the same mix as what Hornady loads in the SP line of cartridges. Just like Federal does not publish load data for their factory ammo. Hornady does list some SP loads for various cartridges in their reloading guide though.

I did just buy a jar of SP powder the other day though to try in my Creedmoor as my favorite powder OF ALL TIME H4350 cannot be found anywhere in the USA right now! Or my beloved Federal 210M primers either! gun)

Thats EXACTLY what I was alluding to. Ive been told by people in the business that powder for RESALE never was the same stuff as in "factory" ammo.

I have tried this in my 300wsm but its really really dirty...has anyone else experienced how dirty it is?