.260 Rem Redding Neck Bushing Size

amce

Hello All,

Have searched the forum for info on this matter but haven't found a specific solution. Hoping that someone out there can point me in the right direction.

I've just ordered a Sako 85 Varmint in .260 Rem. I intend to load my own ammo and, while not an expert, have been loading for my .223 Rem for about a year now. I use a Redding Competition neck die, only sizing the necks. Want to use Redding Comp dies even for the .260. I will be using Norma or maybe Lapua cases as both are available here in Sweden where I live.
My problem is: what size bushings should I order? I have no loaded rounds in Norma or Lapua brass to measure. Neither of these companies make factory rounds in .260, only the brass.
Can't make up any rounds without the dies, can't order the dies without having some rounds.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

amce,

Can't speak for the Norma, but based on the samples I have here in the office, the necks of a recent run of Lapua 260 brass is running right at .015". Given the normal .002" springback allowance, I'd suggest starting with a .292" bushing (.015 x 2 = .030 + .264 = .294 - .002 = .292), but I normally suggest also buying the bushings .001" above and below the basic figure. That is, the .291" and .293" bushings as well. Gives you a bit more latitude to accommodate dimensional variations in brass that you may encounter over time, and allows you to experiment with some slight differences in neck tension as well.

Besides, it's another gadget for the reloading bench, and we all know you can never have too many gadgets. :)

Kevin,

This gives me a good starting point. I did that with my .223 but there I had Norma factory rounds to start with.

Thanks a lot, mate

Cheers

My loaded 260 rem loads with Lapua brass measure .294-.295 if that helps. I had my die honed to .291.

Guys, this is just great. Will soon have my .260 up and running. Just hope that the stuff isn't on back order :)

Many thanks

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.