260 rem quandary

George Denys

I have an encore with a 15 inch barrel that I bought to hunt a specific piece of land. I found a used 260 Remington barrel and find it quite ideal. In developing loads the 130s will do 2500, the 120 Nosler ballistic tip 2600 and change and the 100 ballistic tip 2900 even. This is Central New York white tails where the largest deer I've ever shot on this property was 196 dressed. Most are in the 120-150 lb range dressed. Absolute furthest feasible shot is 300 yards. Most are from right there to 100. Thoughts on what weight bullet to settle on?

The 260 rem is an awesome " little" whitetail stomper. My son has a savage 116 and he shoots whitetails with the 130 gr accubonds or the nosler ballistic tips in the 120 gr flavor. Both bullets shoot great and within an inch of each other. The 130 holds up a lot better and don't destroy as much meat.
Out of a shorter barrel though the 120 may not blow up as much I can't remember what velocity we were getting but they were not max loads by no means. Just good shooters.

I used that 120NBT from a 6.5/284 on many Exotics in Texas and antelope in Utah. It is one wicked killer, plenty for what you want, and as said, at that speed will penetrate the biggest buck up there! Have a ball man..

Your going to look long and hard to find a better whitetail bullet than the 130 accubond. Your whitetails are going to go over 200lbs on the hoof so they are not small, a bonded bullet will hold together better on angling shots or if you hit bone. I use a 260 in a 20" barrel and the 130's, will most assuredly work in all condition's. Good Hunting and enjoy that 260 :)

George check out the link below also go to midwayusa and the different bullet reviews. Any information that would apply to 6.5 Grendel would apply to a short barreled 260 Rem. It's a sweet cartridge for white-tailed deer hunting. I have owned as many as 4 at one point in time since 2003 when I bought the first one I owned a Sako 85s that I still hunt with none of them had barrels shorter than 22 though.

When I hunt Canadian whitetails I generally use .308 win or 30-06 where the deer can be 250 plus but that's just me the 260 rem will make 2 holes in them as well. I found an accurate load with the 100 TTSX last fall that I am planning on using this fall. Been running the 120 tsx and before that the 120 NBT. Both are excellent choices.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html

I'd go for the 120 grainer. At the speed you're pushing it, it should be a great bullet. Mild in the recoil department and should hold together and penetrate just fine. Remember that you're shooting deer, not armored tanks. And in saying that, the 100 grainer isn't any slouch either.

George check out the link below also go to midwayusa and the different bullet reviews. Any information that would apply to 6.5 Grendel would apply to a short barreled 260 Rem. It's a sweet cartridge for white-tailed deer hunting. I have owned as many as 4 at one point in time since 2003 when I bought the first one I owned a Sako 85s that I still hunt with none of them had barrels shorter than 22 though.

When I hunt Canadian whitetails I generally use .308 win or 30-06 where the deer can be 250 plus but that's just me the 260 rem will make 2 holes in them as well. I found an accurate load with the 100 TTSX last fall that I am planning on using this fall. Been running the 120 tsx and before that the 120 NBT. Both are excellent choices.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html

Thank you, I never thought of the Barnes. longer for weight and they may just be the ticket

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.