.260 Rem (or .260AI) w. SAAMI (or standard length) .060" FB?

lancetkenyon

I am having a new barrel spun up on a rifle. I am going with .260AI. Standard reamers for both .260 Rem and .260AI both use a .060" FB. I am more that likely going with a longer FB set up to seat the 140 Hyb out a bit further, but need some numbers.

Does anyone have a .260 Rem and shoots 140 Hyb? If so, can you give me CBTO with that combo at the lands? I am thinking this should be about 2.095" CBTO?

L-R:
6.5CM w. 140 BMB
.260 Rem case (with another loaded case behind it)
6.5SLR w. 130 OTM
.260AI w. 140 Hyb (seated to fit in Wyatt's extended box or Accurate mag w a little room to spare)
20210624_085117.thumb.jpg.9ee9a1593fb7ffc1d00805ccf8e0877f.jpg

Personally, I'd go with, the 6.5 SLR as I like, the longer Neck that, allows you to, "chase" the Lands and adjust bullet seating depth, to get,.. OFF the "Doughnut" if, one shows up,.. That's just ME, tho !
The Longer Neck, also has, the "Turbulence Point", further back in case for BETTER, Barrel Life and TWO reasons why, I chose a 6 XC for my last 6mm "build" vs any others, like,.. 6 Creed, .243 win. etc. !
Don't know, the best Freebore, but around, .090 to .110 should work with, the 6.5 SLR.

Last edited:
It's always been a controversial subject. But many years ago I bought a Weatherby rifle and really got into the how to make accuracy. Facts are bullets near the lands builds pressure and free bore gets the bullet moving before it hits the lands and barrel resistance decreasing the pressure spike. I started having my rifles made with .250 free bore. Yes i did some COL math on seating depth. If I was shooting some really long VLD and seating it way out it just turned my rifles into a single shot.

If you put a stack of spire point BT in a rifle magazine like out hunting and pull the trigger. Look at all the magazine rounds. They all have flat noses from the recoil. After i saw that I became a single shot person. You spend all that time inside and outside neck turning.......... to make it the most accurate you can, only to get slammed by the recoil.

In all my lower 48 state big game hunting I never needed a second bullet anyway! :)

I am having a new barrel spun up on a rifle. I am going with .260AI. Standard reamers for both .260 Rem and .260AI both use a .060" FB. I am more that likely going with a longer FB set up to seat the 140 Hyb out a bit further, but need some numbers.

Does anyone have a .260 Rem and shoots 140 Hyb? If so, can you give me CBTO with that combo at the lands? I am thinking this should be about 2.095" CBTO?

L-R:
6.5CM w. 140 BMB
.260 Rem case (with another loaded case behind it)
6.5SLR w. 130 OTM
.260AI w. 140 Hyb (seated to fit in Wyatt's extended box or Accurate mag w a little room to spare)
View attachment 281258
I wonder if Cody A. would have those numbers for you Lance.

Personally, I'd go with, the 6.5 SLR as I like, the longer Neck that, allows you to, "chase" the Lands and adjust bullet seating depth, to get,.. OFF the "Doughnut" if, one shows up,.. That's just ME, tho !
The Longer Neck, also has, the "Turbulence Point", further back in case for BETTER, Barrel Life and TWO reasons why, I chose a 6 XC for my last 6mm "build" vs any others, like,.. 6 Creed, .243 win. etc. !
Don't know, the best Freebore, but around, .090 to .110 should work with, the 6.5 SLR.
I have a 6.5SLR w. .160" FB (the standard 6.5 SLR reamer) already. On my 2nd barrel, with 2800 in the first when it gave up the ghost, and another 800+ on the second so far.

Cody would have that measurement somewhere but he switched to the 156 last year with some interesting results. Lance, any reason you're not shooting the 156 ?

What is your CBTO to lands?

Cody would have that measurement somewhere but he switched to the 156 last year with some interesting results. Lance, any reason you're not shooting the 156 ?
Because my 6.5SS is my 156 slinger.
This is mainly going to be a practice/steel rifle. But will still pull hunting duty as well for pronghorn and deer.

What is your CBTO to lands? And what FB did you go with in your reamer?

I will check it. I made dummy rounds seated with magazine space in mind. I kept like .08-.1 free in the sako Magazine and cant remember the length. I do remember there was more room to modify the magazine a bit.

No hybrids but I'm shooting 140 HVLDs in a 260 AI. Can get you OAL or CBTO on that if you'd like, but I won't be home til Sunday. My rifle shot well right at the lands, but I also found a sweet spot back 0.060" or so. It took a bit of work to find the right load, but very worth it to be able to keep a couple in the mag.