.260 Rem Hunting Bullet Recommendation

I'm getting under 0.5 MOA with my 260 shooting 143 eld-x at light loads for my son. 2605 FPS. 43.0 grains H4831SC, Rem 9.5 primers, Lapua brass, 24 inch 8.5 twist Chanlynn barrel. It shoots higher velocities well also and it likes the 140 HVLDs from Berger with H4350 even better but I stuck with the Hornady bullets for various reasons.

I'm paying attention to this thread as my wife would like me to switch to copper bullets for a variety of reasons (bird / scavenger health; kid's health,...). She supports my shooting and hunting and enjoys the meat for the family so who am I to complain about another load development project?

Any all-copper bullet recommendations for my 8.5 twist rate? When my son can hunt with it he'll be kept to 300 yard shots, though I'd like options to 500 yards with this rifle so long as velocity for expansion and energy are adequate for clean kills (and he'll be allowed to stretch distance as his skills and confidence grows). This is our antelope rifle for now but when he's old enough I'd like the load to work well for elk at shorter distances also if needed for him (I'd be using 300WM for elk when not muzzleloader hunting).
We have several bullets that would fit your needs and the 8.5" twist. For the yardages that you are working with I would run with one of our Sledge Hammers. I am a vel nut so my choice would be the 117g. The 130g Sledge Hammer would work very well also. If elk is on The menu the 130g might be the better choice, although I would not hesitate to use the 117g on elk too.

If you decide to give them a go I don't think you will feel like you had to give something up to switch to pure copper.

Steve

Given that your maximum range is 400 yards, velocity will be your friend. Look at the 120ish grain bullets and push them fast. Their speed will eclipse the superior BC of the bigger bullets in both drop and wind drift. Now, extend your range considerably and you'll want to consider the heavier bullets.
The nosler 120 grain ballistic tip gets the nod under 400 yds

We have several bullets that would fit your needs and the 8.5" twist. For the yardages that you are working with I would run with one of our Sledge Hammers. I am a vel nut so my choice would be the 117g. The 130g Sledge Hammer would work very well also. If elk is on The menu the 130g might be the better choice, although I would not hesitate to use the 117g on elk too.

If you decide to give them a go I don't think you will feel like you had to give something up to switch to pure copper.

Steve
Thanks for the info Steve. I look forward to checking out your site / bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.