260 rem for whitetails

Ok, that's the info I was waiting for, maybe the win mag was too fast, it just exploded. That was about 12 yrs ago. I think I'll see what the SST will do
Thanks for the info guys

Years ago I built my self a 7 STW (Back when you had to fire form/neck size the brass using 8mm Rem brass) for extreme velocity and flat trajectory. I built it with a 31" barrel to try for 3800 ft/sec with a 140 grain bullet.

I was able to achieve the 3800 ft/sec but the accuracy went away at just over 3700 ft/sec (Twist was to fast) but at those velocities I had to use two different bullets. At zero to 400 yards, I had to use the partitions or the A Frame to keep them from grenadeing. beyond 500 yards, I found the ballistic performed well all the way out to 1100 yards because the velocity had dropped to levels that the bullet design worked well and expanded enough to make a good wound channel.

Armed with this experience I looked at the ballistic tip and the average velocity at the hunting POI and found the 120 BT was in its element at 7/08 velocities. There are many good bullets that are available but the 120 Ballistic tip just works at 7/08 velocities. I tend to like heavier bullets, but in this case the 120 is king on white tails.

J E CUSTOM

I've used both the 120 BT and 120 TTSX out of my Tikka 260 Rem on white tail
with equally good results (all under 200 yards). This year on a Muley hunt
in Montana I'm going to use a 143 ELD-X. I get very good accuracy out to
300 yds (under 1 moa). With 45.5g of RL22 and 2740 at the muzzle.

So it seems as though a ballistic tip will work good, is a Hornady SST just a ballistic tip ? I have some 125 gr nodler partitions in factory loads also. Sounds like any of the bullets I have will work, maybe I should just see what is the most accurate and go with it

So it seems as though a ballistic tip will work good, is a Hornady SST just a ballistic tip ? I have some 125 gr nodler partitions in factory loads also. Sounds like any of the bullets I have will work, maybe I should just see what is the most accurate and go with it
Now you're talking sense. WT aren't that difficult to kill. Shot placement is King. Accuracy and shooting skills are paramount. I don't shoot the big boomers and I really like Berger HVLD'S. Others hate them. They work for me. My brother shoots Hornady SST'S in a 30 X 47 and they make some devastating wound channels. Can't remember the velocity, but certainly no more than 3000 fps.

When Remington brought out the first 260s my buddy got one, a 24" barrel stainless 700. You could not even get a hold of any ammo or cases to load. He got a set of dies from RCBS and we experimented making cases from 308 and 243 win cases. 243 Win made the best cases because 308s necks were a little too short for our liking. There was not even any load data out yet for the 260 Rem so we treated it like a wild cat. Found that H4350 was a great powder and we found loads for both 120 and 140 Sierra SP bullets that shot bug holes. We were doing crop damage control on a big farm in east NC and between us we killed 50 deer that year with that rifle from close to a little over 500 yards and used both bullets and really could not tell any difference in terminal effects. All but ONE of the 50 deer were BANG FLOP and that one only took 3 jumps before going down. He traded the rifle off by the next year, he never keeps anything long. Fellow still all these years latter has the rifle and shoots 129 SST Hornady bullets pushed by H4350 and fills his freezer every year. I have a 6.5x55 Swede that shoots the same velocity as the 260 Rem and have used 120 Sierra Sp and Nosler BT, 140 Hornady interlock and Sierra SP on deer from close in to a bit over 500 yards and really can't tell any difference in terminal effects. BANG FLOP most of the time. If I had to pick just one bullet for the deer I shoot it would be 120 Ballistic Tip because I can shoot it 3000 fps and it shoots flat and is extremely accurate.

Yes, The 260 is PLENTY GOOD for deer! A former girlfriend of mine has a Savage rifle chambered in 260 Rem. I found a load with Nosler 130 Accubonds that shot very well. So far she's harvested at least 4 Whitetails, & 1 Antelope (At nearly 300 yards), All, One Shot DRT! Good Luck with your 260!!!!!! Idaho-5R

My 14 year old daughter shot her big muley buck last year at 637 yards with a 6.5 SLR (basically the same thing as a .260 Rem). Deer hit the dirt at impact. 127 Barnes LRX @ 3050fps.

Took her buck the year before @ 432 yards with a .260 Rem pushing a 140 HVLD @ 2860fps. Again, DRT.
Next time she draws, she will more than likely be using my 6.5 SS. Loads are still being developed.

Last edited:
My 14 year old daughter shot her big muley buck last year at 637 yards with a 6.5 SLR (basically the same thing as a .260 Rem). Deer hit the dirt at impact. 127 Barnes LRX @ 3050fps.
Took her buck the year before @ 432 yards with a .260 Rem pushing a 140 HVLD @ 2860fps. Again, DRT.
Next time she draws, she will more than likely be using my 6.5 SS. Loads are still being developed.

That is awesome! My 260 doesn't get much use when I go out west due to the 6.5 Gap 4S....

Took this Montana Muley with my Tikka T3 260 Rem. 143gr ELD-X @ 250 yds. The
exit wound is visible in the pic. Love my 260.

Montana Muley.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.