.260 rem and reloader 26, need expert advice please

Hello, I'm looking for some advice. I'm not new to hand loading or long-ish range, but I'm getting ready to try the mile. If I'm on Mars with these loads, I'd like to know for safety. The velocities I'm getting are unreal, I want to keep my face. Granted, I used data I found somewhere on this site, not in a book. I found good accuracy at 3 charge weights, when I put them over the chrono my eyes bugged out. My standard load is 36.5 varget for average 2647 fps with the 147 Eld-m. Very mild, low recoil load.

260 rem, 24" barrel
147 Eld-m/ reloader 26
Started at 45.0 grains.
At 48.5 I got 2874,2876,2850. Recoil is noticeably more, bolt lift is normal, no pressure signs in the case.
At 49.0 grains I got 2906,2907,2907. Bolt is a little stiff, but not bad. No pressure signs in the case.
At 50.0 grains I got 2965,2965,2937. No pressure signs on the case, but the bolt is definitely stiff. Rifle no longer recoils like the 12 lb .260 that it is. This load is definitely too hot, I won't use it.
Please be nice, don't start by calling me an idiot. I'm looking for helpful advice, not a brow beating. On a side note, am I overthinking the mile, and the transonic/ subsonic transition? The small gains in wind are meaningless to me, I'm trying to keep the bullet from tumbling with 300 yards to go. If I back it down to 2750, I'll be at 1100fps at 1760. TIA

Did you do your work up with fireformed cases or new cases?

I have had pressure masked by using new cases before work up. When I loaded them with firdformd cases, they were slightly over pressure (typical cases head signs, flatter primer, light ejector mark, etc).

What kind of rifle/bolt face is it? I ask because I get case swipe on my Ruger without even firing a round, so using that is worthless for pressure signs.

How much do you trust your chronograph? I use a magneetospeed so I don't know anything about the others, just that they need set up consistently.

This is a good read and gave me some good reference when I started loading with components that were not in the books.
https://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/understanding-pressure

Also FWIW Nosler lists H1000 at 50gr for the 142 in a 260. I know its not the same powder but it relates to below, follow me.

I have a load for a 300 WM that with 78 gr H1000/ 175gr LRX I am only getting 2907 FPS. I recently worked it up with RE22 and got 3181 FPS just below book max. I backed it off a bit to ensure case life/ face life.

Again apples to grapefruits, but the Alliant powders are quick in my experience.

I will read the link you posted after work tonight, thank you.

This is a savage 10 action

By case swipe, you mean ejector marks in the case head, correct? They are not present. I have seen it with this rifle, when it still wore the factory barrel. I was .5 grain over start with a 140 SMK and vv n-150 and the ejector dented the case so bad it would have held water. Primers look ok too, they're not flattened out, no soot marks where they appear to be leaking.

The cases are necked down hornady 7-08. Fired twice before,in this barrel, neck sized with a collet die.

My chronograph works as far as I know. My friend has a different one and they read within a few fps of each other, and if I check a load weeks or months after the first check, it gives the same readings. I don't know if I should be doing something special, I just put it on the tripod, and shoot. It does require shade or a cloudy day. Its all over the place if it works at all in a sunny day

I am in the process of working up loads for a 260 AI and I have not found any loads with 147 grain bullets close to those velocities. I have a 26''barrel and it looks like it will exceed 2900 with the 130s and stay within 260 pressures (60.000 psi)

It looks like Reloader 16 or H 4831 will be the best/fastest powder in the AI version.

It might be wise to use a lighter bullet (Like the 143 grain class) to get you where you want to be. I went with the 260 AI in order to increase the powder capacity and shoot the heavy 6.5 bullets.

I don't know enough about the 260 yet to give much advice, but it sounds like your loads are a little hot if you want to stay within SAMME pressure limits, So be careful.

J E CUSTOM

I've run RL26 in my 260 but only with 130gr moly bullets. I was up to 49.7gr and was right around 2975fps in a 22" barrel. There were also no pressure signs and the load was reasonably accurate. What got me though, was the higher ES and SD. The load behaved well at shorter ranges but fell apart long range. I consulted a few other shooters and they said that the RL powders don't like any crush fit, and if you do they end up going to ****. I have since moved to a 140gr with RL16 and the loads are slower but accuracy and ES/SD have improved considerably. So I would say yes, your speeds may be a touch high for the load in question, but not as far off as you may think. I'd back off and look for a little bit lower node. Remember, it's just a 260 and only a 24" barrel.

I just started load development on my new Proof Research Summit SA in 260 Rem. Barrel is 22" and a 1-8 twist. I loading Lapua brass, virgin brass no work done. Initial work with RL26 is looking good. Looks like max powder volume is 47.5. I'm shooting Berger 135 Classic Hunters. Further testing next week. At this time my velocity is 2820 with a ES of 4. Grouped yesterday ok. A .5" for 5 shots at 125 yards.

Brian

So I read the article that Shane Lindsay posted. Lots of good info, like pressure signs seeming to back off as powder charge went up. The article outlined in detail the methods I use to see if I'm over pressure. I think the 50 grain, and maybe the 49 are too hot. Like I said, at 50, bolt lift tells me that it's too hot. Crowding 3000 is cool, but so is having a face. I'm going to back off to 45 and start over. I found this bullet really responds to seating depth, like a Berger, so I just need to do my due diligence and quit being greedy. I'd like to post a pic of the 50 grain cases, but this redneck can't figure it out. I'd like some input, how do I get the pic up? I've been at this quite awhile, hot rodding is new territory for me. Just never had the need.

I am in the process of working up loads for a 260 AI and I have not found any loads with 147 grain bullets close to those velocities. I have a 26''barrel and it looks like it will exceed 2900 with the 130s and stay within 260 pressures (60.000 psi)

It looks like Reloader 16 or H 4831 will be the best/fastest powder in the AI version.

It might be wise to use a lighter bullet (Like the 143 grain class) to get you where you want to be. I went with the 260 AI in order to increase the powder capacity and shoot the heavy 6.5 bullets.

I don't know enough about the 260 yet to give much advice, but it sounds like your loads are a little hot if you want to stay within SAMME pressure limits, So be careful.

J E CUSTOM
I use reloder 26 exclusively now in my 29" barreled .260 AI, and it is giving outstanding performance, significantly more than H4831sc. I never tried Reloder 16. I pressured out with H4831sc at 2980ish fps, somewhere about 48.8 to 49 grains. However, with Reloder 26, SRP Peterson brass with cci br-4 primers I'm getting 3040 fps, 9 fps E.S. and 3.8 fps S.D. using 49.5 grains with it seated to 2.930 OAL which is .010" off the lands in my rig. I have got up to 3100 fps with 51 grains with the beginnings of pressure signs using Lapua brass, but I havent worked up loads to max in the peterson brass. With the 140 Bergers, I was using 49.1 grains and they were going 3070 fps, and worked up to 3150 fps before pressure signs appeared. This is in a fully broke in (1200 rounds) 29" krieger 4 groove 8 twist barrel.

To the OP: THIS IS IN A .260 AI. Do not duplicate my loads. From what you said, I would stop around 48.5 grains. Any time I have had any kind of bolt lift or any other signs, primer pockets don't last much longer, and your hivh pressure. Besides, 2875 fps in a 24" standard .260 is dang good, and I would say your at or just below max there. In a 28" barrel, you would be going about 2950-3000. That is a hot load....

I use reloder 26 exclusively now in my 29" barreled .260 AI, and it is giving outstanding performance, significantly more than H4831sc. I never tried Reloder 16. I pressured out with H4831sc at 2980ish fps, somewhere about 48.8 to 49 grains. However, with Reloder 26, SRP Peterson brass with cci br-4 primers I'm getting 3040 fps, 9 fps E.S. and 3.8 fps S.D. using 49.5 grains with it seated to 2.930 OAL which is .010" off the lands in my rig. I have got up to 3100 fps with 51 grains with the beginnings of pressure signs using Lapua brass, but I havent worked up loads to max in the peterson brass. With the 140 Bergers, I was using 49.1 grains and they were going 3070 fps, and worked up to 3150 fps before pressure signs appeared. This is in a fully broke in (1200 rounds) 29" krieger 4 groove 8 twist barrel.

To the OP: THIS IS IN A .260 AI. Do not duplicate my loads. From what you said, I would stop around 48.5 grains. Any time I have had any kind of bolt lift or any other signs, primer pockets don't last much longer, and your hivh pressure. Besides, 2875 fps in a 24" standard .260 is dang good, and I would say your at or just below max there. In a 28" barrel, you would be going about 2950-3000. That is a hot load....
Cody Adams, what have you found with rl26 in regard to temp sensitivity? I started with one pound to see if the velocity legend was true, I just ordered an 8 pounder so I want to get to know it. Thank you

Hello, I'm looking for some advice. I'm not new to hand loading or long-ish range, but I'm getting ready to try the mile. If I'm on Mars with these loads, I'd like to know for safety. The velocities I'm getting are unreal, I want to keep my face. Granted, I used data I found somewhere on this site, not in a book. I found good accuracy at 3 charge weights, when I put them over the chrono my eyes bugged out. My standard load is 36.5 varget for average 2647 fps with the 147 Eld-m. Very mild, low recoil load.

260 rem, 24" barrel
147 Eld-m/ reloader 26
Started at 45.0 grains.
At 48.5 I got 2874,2876,2850. Recoil is noticeably more, bolt lift is normal, no pressure signs in the case.
At 49.0 grains I got 2906,2907,2907. Bolt is a little stiff, but not bad. No pressure signs in the case.
At 50.0 grains I got 2965,2965,2937. No pressure signs on the case, but the bolt is definitely stiff. Rifle no longer recoils like the 12 lb .260 that it is. This load is definitely too hot, I won't use it.
Please be nice, don't start by calling me an idiot. I'm looking for helpful advice, not a brow beating. On a side note, am I overthinking the mile, and the transonic/ subsonic transition? The small gains in wind are meaningless to me, I'm trying to keep the bullet from tumbling with 300 yards to go. If I back it down to 2750, I'll be at 1100fps at 1760. TIA
Stiff bold is a definite pressure sign, you need to back off before you have a serious problem.

I tried RL 23 and 26 with 130-136gr bullets and found that basically I could go with a near full case with no pressure signs. In a small caliber like this going up to the 147 makes a big difference in pressure so I'd be very careful.

My advice would be to back off and quit worrying about about trying to max out speed, just get a good, solid, consistently accurate load and work with it.

I'm no expert but I have thousands of rounds through 3 260's and several hundred dead critters shot with them so take it for what it's worth.

J E CUSTOM
I'm finding some happiness with RL19 and 17. I'm going to work with them all summer and see what I can get the best results with.

What's strange to me is they are also giving me some very acceptable results int he .375 Ruger but it looks like RL33 or H1000 are going to work best with the 6.5LRM.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.