260 R.E.M. And 125 partition Question

Lab rat

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL
A little background I have a custom built 260 R.E.M. With 24" Lilja barrel I use it for hunting blacktail deer only in the the state of Oregon where shots can be 25 ft or 300 yds in the past ive been using the 129 sst while they are a great choice for the longer shots they tend to come apart with the close shots so I'm considering changing to the 125 Partition I'd like get some first hand experience from people who use this combination good or bad I would like your thoughts

I use the 127 Barnes LRX and have had very good results. The 130g accubond does well too.

The partitions would do fine, they have worked well since conception.

The partition has always been my favorite bullet for shots under 500 yards and have used the 125 partition in the 260 cousin the 6.5x55. My Sweede doesnt prefer the 125s and like other partition bullets stay away from meat if you can help it but they are killers!

The partition has always been my favorite bullet for shots under 500 yards and have used the 125 partition in the 260 cousin the 6.5x55. My Sweede doesnt prefer the 125s and like other partition bullets stay away from meat if you can help it but they are killers!
The PT has been a favorite of mine too. But in a 30-06 180 gr and 400 yards limit. My buddy has taken most of his elk over here using a 308 win and 165 gr PT with 300 yard limit.

I have loaded 100s, 125s and 140s in a 6.5CM, so similar velocities. I settled on the 140gn, I wasn't trying to push it super fast because this was for 200 yard and under shooting, and it worked beautifully on a whitetail. Every range trip during deer season I put up a 3x5 note card with a 2" orange dot on it, and the first shot is my hunting load from my hunting rifle. Never once did a Partition not hit the dot at 200 yards on the first shot. Great bullet.

I used 125g Partitions in my 6.5x55 for years annually on our Fallow deer here in Australia, only ever recovered one.
Must have shot a few dozen deer with them over the years.
I like the performance of Partitions, use the 115g in my 25-06's too on the same deer and have never not recovered the deer.

Cheers.

Back when I got my 260 the bullet choice was bad. Every bullet that I tried would blow up and with lots of coyotes and no exit I was tempted to go back to the 280.

Decided to try the 125 Nosler partition. First deer that I had the opportunity to shoot was during the early antlerless season. Had 2 tags. First shot less than 50 yards large doe,broadside high shoulder ,small entrance golf ball size exit,DRT. Second deer ,large doe about 10 feet from first deer less than a second later, high shoulder shot,instant replay.

Have also had good luck with 129 Hornady. Never failed to get a pass through, but never shot under 100 yards. Closest shot large buck at 120 yards, shot in crease behind shoulder. Sprayed whire pine behind buck with lung pieces, golf ball exit hole ran about 50 yards. Left trail Ray Charles could follow.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL
A little background I have a custom built 260 R.E.M. With 24" Lilja barrel I use it for hunting blacktail deer only in the the state of Oregon where shots can be 25 ft or 300 yds in the past ive been using the 129 sst while they are a great choice for the longer shots they tend to come apart with the close shots so I'm considering changing to the 125 Partition I'd like get some first hand experience from people who use this combination good or bad I would like your thoughts
The 125 Partition will work fine.

If we're talking just Blacktail's-the 100 grain Partition would be my choice. Or the 85 grain Hammer.

Keeping velocity up to facilitate maximum point blank range would be a thing for me, in the conditions described.