.260 or 7mm Rem Mag

Kuriz

I am having an internal argument and am hoping for some insight. I am looking for a longer range rifle. I have it narrowed down to .260 and 7mm rem mag. I really cant decide between all the information I have read which one would be better for a combo deer / elk rifle. I know they would both be fine 400yard plus for deer and am wanting to go elk hunting. I just have no idea on which one would be better. I know the sweeds have been using the comperable 6.5mm on moose for years. Any insight would be greatly appriciated.

The Swedes have indeed been using their 6.5x55 for moose for many, many decades, but most of their hunting is done in some fairly heavy cover. Not too many long range shots being taken. Might also add that Finnish and Swedish moose tend to run a good bit smaller than those in North America, probably 2/3s the size of ours.

I'm a huge fan of the 260, and not too fond of belted mags in general, but I'd take the 7mm in a heartbeat here.

I am having an internal argument and am hoping for some insight. I am looking for a longer range rifle. I have it narrowed down to .260 and 7mm rem mag. I really cant decide between all the information I have read which one would be better for a combo deer / elk rifle. I know they would both be fine 400yard plus for deer and am wanting to go elk hunting. I just have no idea on which one would be better. I know the sweeds have been using the comperable 6.5mm on moose for years. Any insight would be greatly appriciated.

No question the 7 mag is a better elk rifle even though the .260 would do the job at shorter distances. Since you have a choice, it's a no brainer in my opinion...Rich

Thanks for the information from all of you. I think that just about sums up my opinion for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts