.260 on elk

shooterpunk2

Hey guys, I've heard from people on here that with the 140 grain Amax or berger, that the .260 Remington is a 1,000 yard deer rifle. What about elk? At what distance would the .260 be effective on elk out to?

I agree the .260 is light

But if a 140/2750/.56BC was used it would have still over 2050fps and 1300fp of energy at 500 yards. Personally I wouldn't use the .260 full stop, but the figures are about the minimum limit what many hunters do use. Is it enough? I don't know for sure as I've never tried it. I know many who would argue, that's plenty.

Peter

Thanks for the responses guys. Im just trying to figure out what caliber of rifle i want to build. Im trying to decide between the .260 or 300wm. I just liked the idea of the lighter recoil with the .260, but obviously the 300wm would be superior in terms of energy. Thanks again.

A mature bull elk can be a tough animal to put down. That being said shot placement is the key. I load the 130gr Accubond in the wife's 6.5X55, but then again she doesn't shoot past 300yards. I'm just in the process of having my .260AI built up and I wouldn't feel undergunned shooting the same bullet out to 500yards, but only if I selected my shot carefully. For example I probably wouldn't have tried the hard 1/4'ng away shot I did last season using my 325WSM which is my prefered rifle when hunting the bigger animals.

FPE is not a reliable way to predict the therminal performance of a cartridge. Frontal are, mass, and momentum or for better in this reguard.
Example the pictures below are exits in the rib cage of a 6X7 Bull Elk (both exits are in the rib cage of the same Elk)
The first picture is the exit of a 180 grain bullet with an impact velocity of 2600 FPS for 2700 FPE

HuntingPicturesfrom2006060.jpg

The next picture is the exit from a 440 grain flat point hard cast bullet with a muzzle velocity of 950 FPS and 882 FPE

HuntingPicturesfrom2006061.jpg

It is clear from the picutre that FPE did not rank the destructiveness of the 2 different rounds in the proper order.

I have killed Deer with the 45 ACP cartidge, with very satisfing results and many will say that it doesn't have enough FPE, yet the results speak for themselves..

.300WM over .260 anytime

The recoil of 300WM is nothing, even my 75 years old father shoots 375HH 300SPBT/2630fps without any problem.
Never think of a recoil and you'll never feel it. With 300WM anyway.

Peter

I know the .260 caliber is a great light caliber for big game but I personally would not choose such a weapon to hunt mature bull elk on a hunt. Most of these animals weigh in at 750 to 900 pounds and that is not your average whitetail or mulie buck wight. They also have a great want to live after being hit and are tough to bring down period. I like more bullet weight and more kinetic energy as well, something with a larger wound channel also. My favorite elk caliber is a .338 Win mag using 225 grain premium bullet!

The .260 will certainly kill an elk but I feel the max yardage should be kept to around 250 yards using a 140 grain bullet and 300 yards using a 160 grain bullet. Once again bullet choice would be wise for the hunter to choose a good bonded or premium bullet. Elk are big animals and I have never seen one go flop to the ground after the first shot.

This is just my opinion but the 260 is not a long range elk rifle. Mature bulls are just as tough as they are big. You put a 140 grain bullet in the wrong place at 400+ yards and he is going to run a LONG LONG way. Just not enough sectionial density or knock down power. One of finest elk calibers around that is still a ***** cat to shoot is a plain jane 338 winchester mag. Heavy timber, use a 250 premium bullet of your liking, open country use a 225 accubond. I am not saying magnums make up for **** poor shooting but they sure put elk down when they hit there mark.