.260 concept rifle???

Chadster73

I want to end up with a good .260 remington setup and hopefully have narrowed it down to two different "platforms." Any and all input for those who are "in the know" as far as performance and accuracy would be greatly appreciated.

1. Remington VSF (26-inch heavy fluted barrel on tan w/black web H-S Precision stock.) 22-250 or 308 rebarrelled into .260 only w/26 inch medium heavy fluted barrel. Basically, a short action-260. sendero-like platform with a medium heavy barrel to cut down some wieght.

2. Winchester Model-70 coyote light (recent FN-produced variety) w/a 26-medium heavy barrel only in .260.

How would these two setups compare practically and accuracy wise? -Thanks

I want to end up with a good .260 remington setup and hopefully have narrowed it down to two different "platforms." Any and all input for those who are "in the know" as far as performance and accuracy would be greatly appreciated.

1. Remington VSF (26-inch heavy fluted barrel on tan w/black web H-S Precision stock.) 22-250 or 308 rebarrelled into .260 only w/26 inch medium heavy fluted barrel. Basically, a short action-260. sendero-like platform with a medium heavy barrel to cut down some wieght.

2. Winchester Model-70 coyote light (recent FN-produced variety) w/a 26-medium heavy barrel only in .260.

How would these two setups compare practically and accuracy wise? -Thanks

My vote would be the Remington setup.

Nothing wrong with the winchester except that they seem to more inconsistent in accuracy
rifle to rifle than the REM.

Also there are a lot more accessories available for the Remington if you want to customize the rifle
your self.

J E CUSTOM

I think accuracy would depend more on the quality of the work (barrel fitting, chambering,crowning) and the quality of the barrel, although 'barrel' isn't everything (stock & bedding, trigger,ammo). There's nothing wrong with either action. Both will need to be trued/blue printed. The Rem. 700 is more popular, but, I've seem some of those FN Patrol Rifles that shoot real well, too. It, generally, takes more to barrel the FN as it is 'cone breeched', more machining. Also, I'm not certain the FN is a 'drop in' for those H-S stocks (around the bottom metal). The FN bottom metal is steel, the Remington is cast something. Some of the FN's come with a nice, quality made, 20 MOA rail. The Rem. is a 'push feed' with a plunger style ejector, the FN is a controlled round feed with a 'fixed' ejector. Both have their good points. Quality after market triggers are available for both. Take your pick! Choose an experiance 'smith to do the work.

Maybe just start with a custom action that has a remington footprint like a predator action from stiller's, since your rebarreling and getting a new stock anyway. I have talked to a few gunsmiths and they say its easier to start with a properly built action than fixing one "remington". http://www.viperactions.com/

Last edited:
Do you plan on shooting the long 140 class bullets?

If so, they take up a lot of useable powder volume in a short action REM700 if loaded to fit in the magazine.

You may want to consider a long action so that you can seat the bullets long and gain the additional performance from the extra case capacity ...

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

if you do take pyroducks advice and buy a custom action, take a hard look at the Surgeon RSR. Its got several features that outclass the stiller tac & predator series and with the rail included, price is about the same. Surgeon delivered on time as quoted when I placed my order.

Im in the process of finishing up a 260 ackley It is built on a trued 700 with a shilen 4 groove ratchet rifled sts barrel at 29.5 inches 1 in 8 twist and its sitting in a hs precision stock I fireformed 50pcs of brass and so far only have ran 142 smk and 130 swift sciroccos with the preference of the sciroccos with 48grs of rl 19 bu will be testing a few more bullets this weekend so far its a shooter wth only about 75rds down the tube if you have an email ill send you a pic this weekend I think its retty much what your wanting except for a shorter barrel

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.