260 barrel length

I would like to keep the length of the barrel around 20" to keep weight down and make it manuverable, (similar to the Remington 700 SPS Tactical) ...
Thanks, John

Interesing topic... I'm contemplating a similar project and am intrigued by the 20" guns. The 20" R700 LTR with the fluted barrel is only 7.5# per the catalog. However, I'm not that intested in a 308 and would prefer a 7mm-08 or 260R for the superior ballistic coefficients.

I did some internal volume calculations to compare the different calibers and found that a 7mm would need something like a 23.6" barrel to have the same internal volume as a .308 20". A 6.5mm would need a 27.3".

Certainly I'm not an internal ballistics expert, and there are certainly other variables than specific volume, but I do believe the larger-bore cartridges for a given case capacity will have an easier time achieving their velocity potential with a shorter barrel than the same case necked down to a smaller bore.

I'm using a Remington xp100R with a 14 inch barrel (maybe 15, conflicting specs. Never bothered to measure it.) The only load I checked for velocities was a Sierra 120 grain pro hunter with 39 grains of varget for 2630 fps. It will shoot sub MOA. Short barrels are stiff. H4831 does make an impressive fireball. The biggest problem I have is stabilizing boat tails. I read it might be due to the higher muzzle pressures. Anyway, yes, faster powders do work better in shorter barrels. I have tried 4831, 4350, 414, and varget. I'm sticking with varget. The muzzle blast and flash are slightly reduced and the velocity loss to the shorter barrel is less. Hope this helps someone.

I'm using a Remington xp100R with a 14 inch barrel (maybe 15, conflicting specs. Never bothered to measure it.) The only load I checked for velocities was a Sierra 120 grain pro hunter with 39 grains of varget for 2630 fps. It will shoot sub MOA. Short barrels are stiff. H4831 does make an impressive fireball. The biggest problem I have is stabilizing boat tails. I read it might be due to the higher muzzle pressures. Anyway, yes, faster powders do work better in shorter barrels. I have tried 4831, 4350, 414, and varget. I'm sticking with varget. The muzzle blast and flash are slightly reduced and the velocity loss to the shorter barrel is less. Hope this helps someone.
This is very useful, thanks for posting. It may come as a shock to Cody Adams that barrel length is still a topic that gets discussed frequently. I'm looking at a Model Seven for taking a youngster after his first deer. I like the .260 but it seems like they need longer barrels to get the 130-140 grain bullets moving. The 7mm-08 is likely what I'll go with. The .284 diameter gives it about 16% more bore volume than a .264, which means a 20" 7mm-08 barrel has the same volume as a 23" barrel in .260. If I stick with the faster powders and medium-weight bullets I think the 20" barrel will do pretty well.

This is very useful, thanks for posting. It may come as a shock to Cody Adams that barrel length is still a topic that gets discussed frequently. I'm looking at a Model Seven for taking a youngster after his first deer. I like the .260 but it seems like they need longer barrels to get the 130-140 grain bullets moving. The 7mm-08 is likely what I'll go with. The .284 diameter gives it about 16% more bore volume than a .264, which means a 20" 7mm-08 barrel has the same volume as a 23" barrel in .260. If I stick with the faster powders and medium-weight bullets I think the 20" barrel will do pretty well.

Actually not a shock at all, I am aware that there are posts all the time about it. While it is kind for handguner to share his experience, it may not be of much use to the o.p. to post it in an 8 year old thread. Also, with handgun er being new to this forum, he may not even be aware that this thread is so old, and may be able to share his knowledge more effectively if perhaps he started a new thread, or commented in a new thread, as powders and other components have improved significantly since this thread was started. Nothing wrong with him posting here at all, as I said, it's generous to share knowledge, but perhaps it could be more effective shared in a newer thread.

Anyway, hope yall have a good evening.

I found all the information in this post to be interesting and useful. I am very grateful for everyone sharing their view. I felt that I could offer a different perspective. Seeing how I responded to an 8 year old post obviously an 8 year old post is still relevant.

I found all the information in this post to be interesting and useful. I am very grateful for everyone sharing their view. I felt that I could offer a different perspective. Seeing how I responded to an 8 year old post obviously an 8 year old post is still relevant.

I get that this is an old post, but I also don't mind seeing replies well after the fact. These topics live in cyber space a long time for many of us to find later - preferably without ridicule. I personally just saw the thread today, and the info is still relevant even if the OP's question was answered long ago.

I know that I am new to this thread but I will tell you what I am having my wife built a .260 rem with a 22 inch #3 lija barrel fluted and having the action fluted by kampfeld custom and a mcmillian edge stock if you like i well let youknow the final weight if you want i am going to top it off with a 3.5-10x50 leupold
Looking at a similar build. Same stock (McMillan Edge Hunter) with a 20" Krieger #1-Light Sporter. Wondering how your 22" works?

I've got a sako carbon light in 260 with the 20-20.5 inch barrel. It's suppressed and makes 2700 fps with 147 eld m. Kills well and the high bc bullet goes well at longer range.

This post was dead 8 years ago, but hey ya never know....
This has helped Cody, as we speak I am building a 260 rem. I like longer barrels in my past builds. was thinking 22-24. now I'm thinking 26. this rifle is to be used in Montana deer and speed goat hunts.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.