260 and black bear

Travis1971

Hello, I'm planning to go black bear hunting (in NY) for the first time I have an number of rifles in large calibers but nothing really handy that I want to take on this hunt. My question is I have a 260 , has anyone ever used this caliber on black bear? I'm sure it will work but don't know if it would be an ideal choice. Anyone have a recommendation on bullet and weight that you have used? Or would I be better off just moving up to a 30 caliber?

I'm in the exact same boat as you and got plenty of responses. I leave mid September and have a 300 win mag and 7mm that I'm considering but my need 260. Rem is itching to taste it's first blood.

I'm debating on the 140 berger HVLD's, but most people are recommending 140 accubond or partition. If the bergers don't pan out, the accubond is the route I'll go for sure

I wanted to have a 308 set up but mid sept is coming fast, and I didn't want to just purchase something to get by with. I also have a 300 rum and 7mm that I'm sure are more than I need for black bear, but both these rifle are not real handy for the area we are looking to hunt.

I've shot a couple bears with a 6.5x47 with 130 JLKS with no issues. One was shot at 60 yards and one at over 500. I've seen a couple of buddies shoot them 6.5x47's as well. If I were you I wouldn't hesitate. This is a 6.5x47 bear at 350 yards. He didn't go 10 feet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 289
The 260 is plenty of gun for black bear. I dropped a 312 lb black bear with my 6.5 Creedmoor and it did the job just fine. I used the 140 amax which worked very well. Going in behind the front sholder and pretty much disintegrated inside the chest and what was left lodged in the opposite shoulder. My personal chose would be the 130 SST, its absolute devestation on medium game.

Hello, I'm planning to go black bear hunting (in NY) for the first time I have an number of rifles in large calibers but nothing really handy that I want to take on this hunt. My question is I have a 260 , has anyone ever used this caliber on black bear? I'm sure it will work but don't know if it would be an ideal choice. Anyone have a recommendation on bullet and weight that you have used? Or would I be better off just moving up to a 30 caliber?

Shot placement the KEY!

I have to second the swift scirrroco those bullets get it done and should plenty to kill a bear I've shot some big white tails upwards of 250# and dropped them like a bad habit with that round

Did the OP ever report that bear hunt?
I just opened the thread but I'm fascinated by bears and keen on the .260 for something different for my next purchase