260 and 130 vld?

Mark in Mo

Hey guys I managed to put together a savage 112 with a Apache 260 1-8 twist 24 inch light varmint contour all in a bell Carlson medalist stock
Problem is my hodgen manual does not give any info on 130gr bullets....I would like to know the start and max load data for H4350 and for Varget?

39 grains of varget and the 130 vld's is a very popular and accurate load.

Hey guys I managed to put together a savage 112 with a Apache 260 1-8 twist 24 inch light varmint contour all in a bell Carlson medalist stock
Problem is my hodgen manual does not give any info on 130gr bullets....I would like to know the start and max load data for H4350 and for Varget?
Mark in Mo,
We show:
Varget = 33.5 START , 37.0 MAX, 2841 to 2703 fps approximate velocities, 91% approximate fill ratio
H4350 = 37.5 START , 41.8 MAX, 2446 to 2736 fps, approximate velocities , 99% approximate fill ratio.
These loads are based on magazine length ammunition 24 inch barrel with 1-8 inch twist rate.

Does anybody else think Berger data has weak powder charges? Using max load with H4350 and 130 vlds I can't quite get 2700 fps. I have safely used Sierras and Noslers up to 44gr.

Does anybody else think Berger data has weak powder charges? Using max load with H4350 and 130 vlds I can't quite get 2700 fps. I have safely used Sierras and Noslers up to 44gr.

It is a guide! That said the data for the 260 is a little light but they also are using a sammi length of 2.800 and the vld bullets take up a lot of space (create higher pressures) in the 260's powder column at that length. Work up with caution and check case expansion after firing and before resizing.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

According to my Hornady length gage I have plenty of room before touching lands. In fact my magazine probably won't allow me to touch lands. Just this after noon I loaded 42.2 gr of H4350 and moved the bullet out .20. If that doesn't do the trick I will lengthen more and creep up the charge.

Thanks.

According to my Hornady length gage I have plenty of room before touching lands. In fact my magazine probably won't allow me to touch lands. Just this after noon I loaded 42.2 gr of H4350 and moved the bullet out .20. If that doesn't do the trick I will lengthen more and creep up the charge.

Thanks.

Wack, If your magazine will allow you to load to 2.900 or you're using the firearm as a single shot I would not hesitate to go past 41.8. I would not start at 42.2 but it will probably be fine just watch for pressure signs. A 1 grain increase adds 5% or less pressure in the 260 rem with most bullets. As stated previously measure your cases before and after firing and get a good micrometer if you're going to exceed max.

Be sure and post results.

Bob

I started at 41.5 and 2.800 and have been working up. Today I did try the 42.2 and 2.82 but wasn't impressed. I didn't touch lands until about 2.915 so I have plenty of room like you say.

I am about ready to give up on 4350 and try varget and was just in the process of looking through data. The 4350 hasn't shot well with 140 SMKs, Bergers, or accubond LRs. The SMKs worked the best so I will try them over varget next weekend. Working for a living really sucks when you have a new rifle.

Thanks

By the way what part of the case are you measuring to check for pressure? I have always stayed a bit under max and never worried or felt I had reason to.

All reloading manuals have weak maximum loads. Can you say LAWYER loads? It is a good place to start. Recent reloading manuals are hardly worth the money unless you are a complete newbie. They spend too much space tell the exploits of their bullets. Take a look at the new Barnes manual.

By the way what part of the case are you measuring to check for pressure? I have always stayed a bit under max and never worried or felt I had reason to.

Really doesn't matter that much but the same place somewhere above the case head .5" or so from the base. It will be a guide once you find max when you start getting stiff bolt lifts back off and record the measurement.

I like H4831SC and W760/414 and would try slower before trying a faster powder like varget. Who's brass are you using? RP will be different than Lapua.

Shoot straight

Bob

I was thinking of trying some 123s with varget or if I try the 140s (sierra) I will lean to slower powders. I have just a tiny bit of 4831 to try. I have a bottle of R17 that sucked in my 243 so I might try it if nothing else works.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.