260 AI vs. 6.5-284?

bowhunthard88

How does the 260 Rem AI compare to the 6.5-284 Norma? Velocity and accuracy being foremost in my mind. Looking to get a barrel done up for my Savage target action, at least 28" long, maybe longer.

Thanks for the input.

They are both great cartridges. The barrel life will be slightly better with the 260AI, as will case life. The velocities are practically the same. The neck length is longer on the 6.5, but if you don't mind fire forming, the 260AI would get my recommendation. Same results with about 3 grains less powder!

I dont have either of those calibers but I do have an ackley in 25-06 ai. I love the the cartridge and the performance. Some things I would consider in choosing between those rounds are.... Fire forming will require extra rounds down the tube which will offset the barrel life difference. Also there are many good quality brass manufacturers for the 284 case. There is also an abundance of load data for the 6.5-284.

Another cartridge I was looking at with ballistics slightly better than the 6.5-284 was the 243 AI, plain jane though it is :D. Any recommendation vs. the 6.5-284?

It's gonna be a long range coyote and woodchuck gun, and I might try to get my feet wet in F-class.

How long are you going to shoot?

I burned out a few 6.5-284's between target / G- hogs and deer. Had an 8-twist 6BR built and never looked back. 90% of my shooting is under 800 ysrds wth most between 400-700
THe 6's are hard to beat for varmints If you want more either of the 6.5 you mentioned, I would go with a straight 260 or 6.5-284 for ease of loading / prep

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.