260 AI vs 260

I own a number of AIs and have never regretted the decision. Fire forming from the parent cartridge is not difficult and the accuracy of the fire forming load is often exceptional. The fire form load for my 22-250AI took groundhogs well beyond 300 yards. I used factory Remington 250 Savage ammo to fire form for my 250AI accounted for several deer.

I do not own a 260AI, but this post has me thinking about an underused 260 model 7 SS I've got.

Just a thought for you to ponder; why not just go with 6.5 CM? It has plenty of factory ammo support when in a pinch.
I have .260 dies and brass currently available to me and I also have 6.5 wsm dies and brass , I'm wanting to build an ultralight and I think the 6.5wsm is too much and the 6.5 cm Is not quite enough. I want something kind of in the middle but I've always shot short action savages so I want to stay with that platform, thinking I could load a hot 260 and achieve my goals possibly. I have a buddy that shoots a 280 ai and it seems very consistent vs. a standard 270 or 30-06 so I really think that case design contributes to a better cartridge and that's where my thinking is. Just deciding if I want to spend the $175 on dies to get exactly what I want.

I too have several AIs and my favorite rifle is a 260AI built on a Surgeon 591 short action. Fireforming is no problem, I load up a 260 round with about 1.5 less grains and shoot. Fireforming rounds are pretty darn accurate also. Have even won a few local F-class/FPR 600 yard matches using only fireforming rounds.

I have .260 dies and brass currently available to me and I also have 6.5 wsm dies and brass , I'm wanting to build an ultralight and I think the 6.5wsm is too much and the 6.5 cm Is not quite enough. I want something kind of in the middle but I've always shot short action savages so I want to stay with that platform, thinking I could load a hot 260 and achieve my goals possibly. I have a buddy that shoots a 280 ai and it seems very consistent vs. a standard 270 or 30-06 so I really think that case design contributes to a better cartridge and that's where my thinking is. Just deciding if I want to spend the $175 on dies to get exactly what I want.
More for you to ponder ...

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-creedmoor-260-done-right/?p=4

I am a big fan of Savage rifles/actions and have built plenty with it. I contemplated the 6.5 WSM build but went with .264 WM instead. As with any build, it is personal preference and intended purpose-driven. Good luck!

I have said this before, but since about 1984 I have hunted just about everything with a standard 260 Remington. Neither the quarry or myself have suffered for the lack of the various improved versions discussed. I match the bullet to the game. Load and go. Other than case length trim and some neck turning I don't let it get too complicated. But then, long range paper punching is not my focus. No disrespect meant, to those who do...

I've got to agree with all those who say, fire forming is easy and part of the fun. I love the looks of the AI'd cartridges and I really like the increased ease of reloading them after the initial fire forming. I have 4 AI'd guns and 2 Gibbs versions. The best part is that part factory ammo can be used in a pinch and #1, out pops an AI'd brass, and #2, there is very little accuracy loss shooting standard cartridges in an AI'ed chamber.

If you rechambering a rifle. Might look at a long action and with a 280AI to 6.5 chambering. That will give you a little more powder room. I looked at 6mm/06 chambering, and noted that the 280AI case is longer from the base to the shoulder. Redding bushing dies will handle the resizing. I am just getting 500 280AI Peterson brass coming in. Just a thought.

I like the 6.5 cm just fine but in my experience, my .260 loads have really good velocities for what I'm trying to achieve and I have all the components already for the 260. It's one of my personal favorites , just curious how the AI version compares and if it's worth the hassle .

If you rechambering a rifle. Might look at a long action and with a 280AI to 6.5 chambering. That will give you a little more powder room. I looked at 6mm/06 chambering, and noted that the 280AI case is longer from the base to the shoulder. Redding bushing dies will handle the resizing. I am just getting 500 280AI Peterson brass coming in. Just a thought.
I've just shot so much short action savage , I have short stroked at long action before and just don't prefer them . Just a personal preference.

I like the 6.5 cm just fine but in my experience, my .260 loads have really good velocities for what I'm trying to achieve and I have all the components already for the 260. It's one of my personal favorites , just curious how the AI version compares and if it's worth the hassle .
The worth value is entirely up to you; what are you willing and able to do in terms of time and money to achieve your goal. More often than not, the improvements are not only in the velocity gain.

For instance, I have a .30-06 that I had it rechambered to .30 Gibbs. I now have a headstamped brass for it, but I started with .5 Whelen, my first fire forming effort. I also tried the .280 Rem.

.30 GIBBS fire-forming progress.jpg

.30-06 IMPROVED INSIDE VOLUME.JPG

Is it worth my trouble? Yes, I am currently propelling the 190 VLD at 2806 FPS with RL-17 (not necessarily the ideal powder for it) with more room.

Last edited: