.260 AI Powders...got QUICKLOAD?

RandyinVa

I really wish I had the Quickload software but I have an Apple computer and will not risk putting a windows OS on it because I paid lots of money to LEAVE microsoft!

I know that H4350 may very well be the ticket for performance at various temps and be right for throwing 140 gr pills. Because I am considering the AI version, I know I will likely run more powder, possibly from a drop tube and wonder about other powders I could consider. It would make me happy to have RE22 or VV160 looked at and compared for speed and pressures.

Accuracy is everything but I don't want to pay to do an AI and then be at the bottom of speeds, either.

Any help will be appreciated. Barrel will be 27 inches so that is different from most of them out there as well.

Norma MRP, IMR 7828ssc, Reloder 22....at least 2,950 fps for all...and safe, moderate, easy on brass pressure....and ~105% load density.

I had one of these built for my son's 12th year hunting season. We spent a lot of time trying to develop a load for it using 4350 and bullets from 120 to 140 grains with pretty much no luck. I was getting frustrated with the rifle and thought we had a scope problem which was disproved. I stuck it in the safe for a few months and one night stumbled across an article in 6mmBR.com about a man named Terry Cross. He's won many tactical championships with the 260 AI and had some pretty specific suggestions about loads that all of them liked. He thinks H4831 is the correct powder for the round.
We started over and using H4831 and 130 Berger's this rifle now routinely shoots under half MOA. My son has killed three Antelope with it one pretty close but the other two were at 470 and the other at 575yds. He was fourteen when he made the longer shot.

Last year I took a couple of city boys that work with my wife to my range so they could shoot their handguns and ar's. When we were driving onto the range I realized we were alone so I stopped and got out my son's 260AI and explained where they needed to hold to shoot the three gongs 500, 600, and 700. They went 5 for 6 and were surprised and stoked. The guy with one miss is still trying to live it down. LOL I really like the cartridge, my son's moved on to a 264 Win Mag.

I have built three of these now and everyone of them like H4350 and H4831 just about equally well. I ended up with 4350 in each of them as the E.S were lower and I use slightly less powder to get the same 2950fps

I'm shooting 50.0 grains of Superformance in my 260 Ackley 22" barrel at 3,000 , 130 Berger VLDs.
Super accurate with a low ES

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.