260 ai powder

Trooper21986

Ok, I have a 260 AI . It started life with a 26" barrel. Recently I cut it to 21" , don't ask ! It's a Rock Creek barrel , and the original load went from 2950 to 2400 , Hunter powder . I have to assume I just don't have enough barrel for the powder I'm shooting. Any thoughts or recommendation for powder ?

550 fps from 5" of barrel? I would be looking at the possibility of other issues as well, something isn't right.

I would try Reloder 26, H4831sc, and Reloder 16. VV N565 may work as well, it is similar burn rate to rl26 but more temp stable from reports, however I have no personal experience with it. Reloder 17 is not very temp stable. You could also try H4350, similar burn rate to RL16 but not quite as good of velocities from my experience.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but you probably won't be able to get the benefits of the improved case because of the short barrel. But I could be very wrong. You might try and use something that's along the lines of varget, or similar burn rate. I don't know if a case full of reloder 26 will burn in that short of a barrel.

Dmagna , I would be happy to get 260 velocities accurately at this point ! 2400 just to slow

26reload codyadams , I was thinking 16/17 or even 15 for the shorter barrel! Was hoping to find someone who might have tried a shorter barrel .... Found one waiting for a reply !
I do appreciate the input !

Maybe look at some faster powders. I run H4895 in my short barrel 260 and also in a short barrel magnum

The ruger is a 16" compact....with rl17 shot excellent.....dont remember all the specifics....it is the ex's rifle...
260 rem...ruger compact mkii....

You never stated what charge or bullet weight you are using but I assume 140 from the velocity stated. Yes you guessed it you don't have enough barrel. I learned over the years with the 264 Win mag that it needs at least 26" barrel to do it's thing. Drop back to 24" and it becomes a fire breathing 6.5x55 but increase the length to about 28" and it will become a rocket ship. You might get a little more velocity with a faster powder but it will not be much. In my 40 years of hand loading experience usually the powder that gives the best velocity and accuracy in a longer barrel will still be the best in shorter barrels. My buddy and I worked with the 260 Rem. when Remington brought it out. The rifle was a stainless synthetic 700 with 24" barrel. There was no load data out yet and we could not even find any ammo or cases so we went wildcatting and ended up making cases out of 243 Win and discovered H4350 was THE powder for 120 and 140 gr bullets. We were doing crop damage control in those days and we killed 50 deer that year with that rifle from close in to a touch over 500 yards and had only one take a step after receiving a 120 or 140 Sierra SP bullet. That one only took three jumps before doing down. My buddy traded off that rifle to a fellow for his grandson by the next year to move on to fooling with something else. Saw the fellow who got that rifle a couple years ago and it is still filling the freezer every year.

I do have a couple of pounds of 4350 , I'll give that a shot or two and see what happens ! If not I'll grab a pound of rl16/17 and swing ! Thanks for the input !

I have a 20" creedmoor and with rl16 and 140eld-m I'm getting 2760fps, if that helps. I agree with others that same powder in a longer barrel works in a shorter barrel.

I was talking with a guy on here shooting a 20" barrel tikka and the 156. Using reloder 26 he was getting 2700-2750 with said 156 and around 49 grains of reloder 26, so it should work fine.

Boom. There ya go.
Screenshot_20191204-093345_Samsung Internet.jpg

Terry Cross uses 48.5 grains of H4831 or H4831SC. That produces great accuracy, and about 2935 fps with a 26" barrel. He uses 139gr Lapua bullet and 2.820" OAL for his match load according to an article he wrote. I use a few grains less for my 260 Remington with one ragged hole results.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.