260 AI load data

J E Custom

While looking for some good loads for my latest project I found this article and though it was interesting how efficient the little 260 AI was. Thought I would share it for those that may be interested.

I am looking for loads for bullets in the 120 to 130 range.
just found some 129 grain LRABs and have not tried them yet. If any has any information they would be willing to share, I would appreciate it.

https://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek046.html

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

I see this article shows the 123gr out of the 260AI ( 24 to 26" bbl )@ 30020 fps. I drive the 120gr Barnes TSX/TTSX out of the 22" bbl of my Savage at 3004fps. Have been doing so for years. If I was using a 26" Bbl I could gain a good 100fps more. That would mean at least 3104 fps out of my std 260 with the Barnes 120gr TSX/TTSX.

I have not tried 130's in mine, but have a good bit of experience with the 140's and 147's.

H4831sc produced fantastic results with 140 Bergers, if I recall correctly my load was 48.3 grains of H-4831 sc (which was on the mild side) with the 140's seated .005" off, and they were going 2930 fps out of my 30" barrel. If I did my part right that load would consistently produce 10 shot groups under .5" ctc at 100, and es was in the low teens to single digits over 10 rounds.

I am currently using Reloder 26 with the 140+ class, with a significant increase in velocity (roughly 100-150 fps) however, I am using a drop tube to fit my charge, so I'm not sure how well it would work with lighter bullets. It MAY be too slow burning. I do know that H4831sc was very consistent.

I run that 129lrab with 46.2 gr RL17, run it at 3100', bit of speed left on the table. I might try a swap to h4350 as the rl17 is a bit temp sensitive, in the cold I am losing 30fps.
45.6-45.8 gr of rl17 gets me 3090 with a 125 partition.
H4831 pushes the 140-147's very well. The 140 vld can run over 2950, but I run 47.5gr and run 2880.
One day I will give rl26 a try, would like to find an accuracy node around 3150 with the 129, or 2950 with the 140.

It was Terrys article that got me to build my first 260AI, but I always just shoot the 142 SMK in mine with H4831sc so can't help you with the lighter bullets, Sorry! Sounds like LongBomber has some good info.

While looking for some good loads for my latest project I found this article and though it was interesting how efficient the little 260 AI was. Thought I would share it for those that may be interested.

just found some 129 grain LRABs and have not tried them yet. If any has any information they would be willing to share, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

How did your testing end up? I've been toying with the idea of running the 124g Hammer Hunters in one. Most of the load data I see is for the 140 class bullets.

Also curious if you dabbled with RL26 in it?

Just a note in regards to the Hammer bullets. I bought a supply of 6.5 121gr Hammers around the first of Nov. 19. After weighting 10 of them I discovered all ten weighted exactly 122.8grs. It did not effect performance in any way. The 121 is rated for a 1/9 twist.. I used them in a 1/8 twist custom 264 mag . Vel 3419 fps & gave me complete penetration thru both front shoulders of my elk.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

Sorry I cant help here as I only have a 260 but this thread also got me thinking as I like all that an AI design stands for but I have to wonder why there aren't any common factory offerings in the AI cartridges.

Dies are available for the common ones?

Or does this go against the original cartridge designers of history & hence cause a further problem for a manufacturer?

Sort of asking the question of why we have to go to a custom gun maker to get a common AI cartridge in 2020?

Just curious is all, sorry to hijack the thread :)

To me it doesn't make sense to run light bullets in 260AI capacity. There are better capacities for lighter bullets in 26cal(like CM or 47L).
The 260AI is perfect for ~140gr bullets, not ~130gr, and not ~120gr bullets.

Sorry I cant help here as I only have a 260 but this thread also got me thinking as I like all that an AI design stands for but I have to wonder why there aren't any common factory offerings in the AI cartridges.

Dies are available for the common ones?

Or does this go against the original cartridge designers of history & hence cause a further problem for a manufacturer?

Sort of asking the question of why we have to go to a custom gun maker to get a common AI cartridge in 2020?

Just curious is all, sorry to hijack the thread :)
The .280 AI is a SAAMI round and factory chambered rifles and ammo can be found.

Other than that there aren't really any others I know of. There are more common ones though that are pretty easy to find dies for, the .260 AI is one of them. My redding die set was $90 on sale from midway and in stock, and every smith I have talked to has a reamer. If your somewhat of a factory ammo guy, berger makes good .260 ammo that uses lapua brass I believe, you can fireform with that factory ammo and then have all your brass ready to go.

To me it doesn't make sense to run light bullets in 260AI capacity. There are better capacities for lighter bullets in 26cal(like CM or 47L).
The 260AI is perfect for ~140gr bullets, not ~130gr, and not ~120gr bullets.

I have some 140 Accubonds but I wanted to make the switch to all copper. The 127LRX or the 124 Hammers.

I have some 140 Accubonds but I wanted to make the switch to all copper. The 127LRX or the 124 Hammers.
Just for some info took my elk this year with the Hammer 6.5 121gr. Total complete penetration thru both front shoulders. DRT. The 121 Hammer thru my 1/8 or 1/9 twist rifles , superb accuracy. I used the Hammer in this rifle because it would not give me decent accuracy with the my traditional Barnes 120gr which has served me well over the years in other 6.5's. If accurate in your rifle I see no difference in performance on game, either brand.

Recent Posts