Is 100-150+ fps extra worth it?

In my opinion it is, not only because of the increase in distance and energy but sometimes the powder charge can be reduce to reach the same velocity of the parent case.

I just recently chambered a 7/08 AI and tried my standard 7/08 load
that produces 3010 ft/sec with a 120 grain bullet to fire form to the AI.

The same load produced 3071 ft/sec in the AI chamber. So efficiency
has a big part and is probably responsible for the increase. It also allows for the use of slower burning powder for longer barrels and even more velocity.

I am not saying that every cartridge "Needs" to be Ackley Improved because there are different needs and rifle functions that the 40o shoulder could cause problems. It just another option.

J E CUSTOM

I guess Im goin with the center feed magazine I've heard the ackleys don't feed to well.

In my opinion it is, not only because of the increase in distance and energy but sometimes the powder charge can be reduce to reach the same velocity of the parent case.

I just recently chambered a 7/08 AI and tried my standard 7/08 load
that produces 3010 ft/sec with a 120 grain bullet to fire form to the AI.

The same load produced 3071 ft/sec in the AI chamber. So efficiency
has a big part and is probably responsible for the increase. It also allows for the use of slower burning powder for longer barrels and even more velocity.

I am not saying that every cartridge "Needs" to be Ackley Improved because there are different needs and rifle functions that the 40o shoulder could cause problems. It just another option.

J E CUSTOM
Sorry, you took it 180° from my intentions. I am 100% in agreement that the extra speed is worth the small amount of extra initial effort.

Here's a question for you on the loaded cartridge bullet placement...standard 260(or any caliber) vs ai....does the lengthened cartridge (with neck being longer) allowing for the bullet to be seated more forward into the neck of the brass allow less pressures?
If so wouldn't a standard caliber with the bullet seated forward have simular results......I know the ai has more room for powder..but the last couple guys fireforming brass have stated the same idea...that they gained several fps while fireforming...not necessarily that their bullets were up further in neck...but just overall fps...
This idea might not read correct....so read my mind........lol...and good luck with that...forewarning...its usually in the gutter...

Does wyatts make a center feed magazine? I need something to be at least 2.995 for those Berger VLD

Will the Remington 700 SA work fine?
Yes, as long as you know your magazine length will be a limiting factor for bullet seating depth.

However, you can always contact Wyatt's Outdoors, and ask them if they make a Rem 700 short action extended magazine box. Your smith should be familiar with how to install them. It will require precision milling of the bottom of the action and stock for it to fit, so it will require a qualified gunsmith to do this work, unless you've done machine work before.

Here's a question for you on the loaded cartridge bullet placement...standard 260(or any caliber) vs ai....does the lengthened cartridge (with neck being longer) allowing for the bullet to be seated more forward into the neck of the brass allow less pressures?
If so wouldn't a standard caliber with the bullet seated forward have simular results......I know the ai has more room for powder..but the last couple guys fireforming brass have stated the same idea...that they gained several fps while fireforming...not necessarily that their bullets were up further in neck...but just overall fps...
This idea might not read correct....so read my mind........lol...and good luck with that...forewarning...its usually in the gutter...

I am not the best wordsmith so I may have not explained it correctly.

I load the 260 to the same overall length as the 260 AI.
I also seat the bullet to the same COAL. (Normally Mag length minus's
.010 to .020
The case length is also the same on both cartridges.
If anything, the AI neck length is .004 to .006 thousandths shorter
because the head space is set of the neck shoulder junction and the 40o shoulder is formed without any forward movement of the neck
(Some times the case length will increase by a very small amount compared to standard case growth because the shoulder minimizes case growth. (Another advantage of the AI).

J E CUSTOM

Neck is not lengthened. The neck to shoulder junction remains within a few .001". It is the shoulder to body junction that moves forward quite a bit during the 40° forming, plus body taper is removed. So COAL really does not change much. But, in most cases except maybe .280AI which has become a SAAMI case and is now being chambered in factory rifles, it is a custom reamer for the Ackley Imp case. Meaning most gunsmith order dreamers with a bit longer throat to allow seating the bullet further out. Increasing usable case capacity on top of the increase by going to Ackley Imp designs.

So far what has been everyone's pet load with 260ai? And please include barrel length and velocity if you would. Thanks Colby Couch

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.